• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

QDRO Waiver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QDROHelp

Los Angeles, California

Hello, I was wondering what the simplest way of filing a QDRO form would be? My parents divorced 7 years ago or so and now that my father retired he needs to file QDRO in order to receive his pension. My mother is in no need of money and has volunteered to waive her rights to any of the pension benefits. She's currently living in a different state and can only visit for around two weeks. Is this something that she would be able to do on her own? Or should she just hire a lawyer to simplify the process?

Thank You

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Los Angeles, California

Hello, I was wondering what the simplest way of filing a QDRO form would be? My parents divorced 7 years ago or so and now that my father retired he needs to file QDRO in order to receive his pension. My mother is in no need of money and has volunteered to waive her rights to any of the pension benefits. She's currently living in a different state and can only visit for around two weeks. Is this something that she would be able to do on her own? Or should she just hire a lawyer to simplify the process?

Thank You
She should hire an attorney.

LdiJ

Los Angeles, California

Thank You
While your mother may be in no need of her share of your father's pension benefits, as outlined by the divorce decree, right now, that is not a guarantee that she will not be in need of those pension benefits sometime in the future, particularly after her own retirement. Its not really in her best interest to waive those benefits. A QDRO can be tricky to fill out and each company has their own requirements. If the pension company in question can provide a form to fill out for the QDRO that could be the best way to go as that would meet all of the company's requirements.
However again, I would not recommend that your mother waive her rights without very careful consideration of her long term needs.

Bali Hai

Los Angeles, California

Thank You
Whose pension is it? If it's your fathers, why would he need to file a QDRO?

QDROHelp

Zigner,

Thanks, I'll tell her to do this.

LdiJ,

She'll be fine. Pension planner didn't provide any form.
Bali,

I'm not too familiar with how this whole thing works but isn't a QDRO completely standard here?

Bali Hai

Zigner,

Thanks, I'll tell her to do this.

LdiJ,

She'll be fine. Pension planner didn't provide any form.
Bali,

I'm not too familiar with how this whole thing works but isn't a QDRO completely standard here?
Only if he wants to get money from HER pension. In that case the QDRO should have been executed 7 years ago.

LdiJ

Only if he wants to get money from HER pension. In that case the QDRO should have been executed 7 years ago.
Bali, if he doesn't want to be in contempt of the divorce decree a QDRO needs to be executed before he starts taking his pension as well.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does the divorce decree specify a QDRO? That does not appear to be clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">