• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recent inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alabama george

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

i became an ex three years ago at 55 after 30 years of marriage on the grounds of breakdown of the marriage. my attorney advise my to give up my interest in the marital home (with me paying off the mortgage), give her my savings (except for my $100,000 in retirement and she kept her state retirement), give her all furnishings, the new tahoe, all balances in checking accounts, basically everything and $600 monthly in alimony with a life insurance policy in the amount of $600,000 to secure the alimony until she remarries, or otherwise. my attorney stated that she would never be able to ask for more alimony.

i found out that she recently inherited over $200,000 from her mother who died last spring. can this amount help me get relief from my obligations?

if not, can i ask the judge to split the insurance amount between my previous wife and my new wife. at this stage in my life a life insurance policy to cover my new expense (home, furnishings, etc - the necessaries in life) costs more than i can afford. if i live to be 100 paying alimony at the rate of $600 a month, it appears that i would only need about $225,000 to cover my obiligation to her.

Last edited:

LdiJ

i became an ex three years ago at 55 after 30 years of marriage on the grounds of breakdown of the marriage. my attorney advise my to give up my interest in the marital home (with me paying off the mortgage), give her my savings (except for my $100,000 in retirement and she kept her state retirement), give her all furnishings, the new tahoe, all balances in checking accounts, basically everything and $600 monthly in alimony with a life insurance policy in the amount of $600,000 to secure the alimony until she remarries, or otherwise. my attorney stated that she would never be able to ask for more alimony.

i found out that she recently inherited over $200,000 from her mother who died last spring. can this amount help me get relief from my obligations?

if not, can i ask the judge to split the insurance amount between my previous wife and my new wife. at this stage in my life a life insurance policy to cover my new expense (home, furnishings, etc - the necessaries in life) costs more than i can afford. if i live to be 100 paying alimony at the rate of $600 a month, it appears that i would only need about $225,000 to cover my obiligation to her.
You can certainly try. What you are proposing certainly sounds logical and reasonable, however much will depend on the wording of your divorce decree.

Bali Hai

Probably not.

She has a state retirement so why would she need any of your retirement? She has an employment history and you literally agreed to give her everything plus a $600k life insurance policy to secure a lifetime alimony obligation?

Are you mad at your lawyer?

On top of that, you remarried??

I don't think that any judge can rescue you from yourself.

tuffbrk

Something sounds incorrect in here. Basically you're saying that other than a retirement account you GAVE her everything - every last penny in all of your checking accounts?! How did you pay your own immediate expenses?! Did you obtain any second opinions?

You can always go back to request that the life insurance policy be adjusted to a reasonable amount to cover the alimony in the event of your passing.

Life Insurance

I was told by an attorney friend that the life insurance policy my fiance had to take to "secure alimony" if he should die is now interpreted another way. It is to secure alimony that is in arrears and not after he dies. When he dies there is no more alimony so it was brought up in his last court hearing that the $100,000 life ins policy will only pay the alimony in arrears and the rest of the life insurance proceeds will go to whoever is stated in his will.

The ex's lawyer had nothing to say whihc is unusual for him.

Yes, they can take you back for more alimony. It is always modifiable. The best way to go is to settle with no alimony. Give her more at the divorce. He has been taken back three times in 4 years. No increase yet but time and bother. Waiting to hear the answer to the last plea this week.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">