• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieving 30% of retirement pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JC Girl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
We were divored in Fl this was suppose to be quick for he wanted to remarry, married for 17 years and elibilble for 42.5% of base pay of retirement, I only wanted 30% so thathe would give me 2 months to find a job with insurance. He has now retired and I've been working on paper work for 6 months trying to get my portion of the retirement and not getting any where quick? I have faxed documents after documents, It states clearly that If I'm remarried which I am that I will recieve 30%. What can I do? I hear write your congress person, and all kinds of things what works?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
We were divored in Fl this was suppose to be quick for he wanted to remarry, married for 17 years and elibilble for 42.5% of base pay of retirement, I only wanted 30% so thathe would give me 2 months to find a job with insurance. He has now retired and I've been working on paper work for 6 months trying to get my portion of the retirement and not getting any where quick? I have faxed documents after documents, It states clearly that If I'm remarried which I am that I will recieve 30%. What can I do? I hear write your congress person, and all kinds of things what works?
File contempt.

What would your congressperson care? It's a simple divorce financial matter.

Who's blocking you? His company? Him?

JC Girl

30% retirement

I have not had any contact with him, I'm doing all of the work thur DFAS and I've had a friend that is still trying to collect her montly amount for 2 years, every month it is a different issue? Thanks JC Girl

Silverplum

I have not had any contact with him, I'm doing all of the work thur DFAS and I've had a friend that is still trying to collect her montly amount for 2 years, every month it is a different issue? Thanks JC Girl
Ah. Military. DFAS. Gotcha.

File contempt on HIM. He's the one that owes you money. DFAS doesn't owe you, and they aren't scared of you, either.

Make HIM handle it.

Here's some informative links:
http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/garnishment/childsupportandalimony.html

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blprotectfact.htm

racingd

I had a simular incident w/my Divorce

My ex was in the mil for 20yrs and married 28yrs total. BUT the catch was we had to be married the complete 20yrs(which we were 9 months short of 20yrs)while he was in the military. In order for me to collect full medical benifits and other benifits.

But the retire money-it must state in the final decree and you must fill out the CORRECT forms for DFACS. You must send it via regular mail or a fax 1)Marriage Lic 2)The final decree, and 3) all DFACS paperwork. It should only take approx 2 months-they(DFACS) notifies the servicemember and they have 30 days to respond. But if you have sent in all the correct paperwork (per speaking w/them on the phone-they were very helpful to me when I spoke w/them). I turned in all forms via fax-Nov '07. I went to court for my 'D' in May 07, but I did not get my official final decree until Nov 07(I sent it all out that very same day). I began to get my 1st payment 1/08. But my court doc state that he was suppose to begin that paperwork back in May. But if I would have waited for him to do so, I would still be waiting.

But I would for sure call DFACS the number is on their site that is posted above.

Good Luck. I hope all goes well. I'm still in a limbo right now-I will ask in another post.

Oh and they will NOT pay you anything that is back owed-they will only give you the money from when the proper paperwok is sent in. You have to go after him in small claims to get the rest that is due.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My ex was in the mil for 20yrs and married 28yrs total. BUT the catch was we had to be married the complete 20yrs(which we were 9 months short of 20yrs)while he was in the military. In order for me to collect full medical benifits and other benifits.

But the retire money-it must state in the final decree and you must fill out the CORRECT forms for DFACS. You must send it via regular mail or a fax 1)Marriage Lic 2)The final decree, and 3) all DFACS paperwork. It should only take approx 2 months-they(DFACS) notifies the servicemember and they have 30 days to respond. But if you have sent in all the correct paperwork (per speaking w/them on the phone-they were very helpful to me when I spoke w/them). I turned in all forms via fax-Nov '07. I went to court for my 'D' in May 07, but I did not get my official final decree until Nov 07(I sent it all out that very same day). I began to get my 1st payment 1/08. But my court doc state that he was suppose to begin that paperwork back in May. But if I would have waited for him to do so, I would still be waiting.

But I would for sure call DFACS the number is on their site that is posted above.

Good Luck. I hope all goes well. I'm still in a limbo right now-I will ask in another post.

Oh and they will NOT pay you anything that is back owed-they will only give you the money from when the proper paperwok is sent in. You have to go after him in small claims to get the rest that is due.

No. It is NOT small claims. it is contempt of court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">