• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reduction of spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Azjazz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
My husband, in an effort to get out of his previous marriage as quickly as possible, agreed to whatever her lawyer presented to him. Hi ex wife had not worked the entire time they were married and her lawyer asked for (and got) $600 a week spousal support. This was based on previous years income tax statements. He is now not making as much as he did then and we would like to petition the court for a reduction. The problem is that we are in AZ and his divorce took place in NY. One lawyer in NY wanted a $10K retainer - we replied that if we had that much money, we wouldn't need to reduce the support. I should add that the ex wife is now employed full time and there is no end date to the support anywhere in the divore papers. Do we have a leg to stand on and how do we get someone to help us?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
My husband, in an effort to get out of his previous marriage as quickly as possible, agreed to whatever her lawyer presented to him. Hi ex wife had not worked the entire time they were married and her lawyer asked for (and got) $600 a week spousal support. This was based on previous years income tax statements. He is now not making as much as he did then and we would like to petition the court for a reduction. The problem is that we are in AZ and his divorce took place in NY. One lawyer in NY wanted a $10K retainer - we replied that if we had that much money, we wouldn't need to reduce the support. I should add that the ex wife is now employed full time and there is no end date to the support anywhere in the divore papers. Do we have a leg to stand on and how do we get someone to help us?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
"We" don't have a leg to stand on at all. Your husband might have a leg to stand on depending upon what his orders actually say regarding the alimony. He should get a consult with an NY attorney, because this certainly isn't anything he can do on his own. 10k as a retainer certainly makes it sound like it wouldn't be an easy case to win.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
"We" don't have a leg to stand on at all. Your husband might have a leg to stand on depending upon what his orders actually say regarding the alimony. He should get a consult with an NY attorney, because this certainly isn't anything he can do on his own. 10k as a retainer certainly makes it sound like it wouldn't be an easy case to win.
This is a double post by OP, LD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">