• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reduction in spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turbinedude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA.

My divorce was completed in Aug of 08 in Virginia. We actually settled after 2 1/2 yrs of going back and forth. We were married for 24 yrs. During the marriage, she worked very little.
In the settlement aggreement, I am to pay $1500 a month. Since then, my salary has been reduced by $4,000 a month, and it is killing me to continue to pay the aggreed support.

Is it possible to have this reduced. I also found out that she is now working a full time job. Although it may not pay but minimum wage, I would think my support should be reduced.
Any thoughts

Thanks

You are not the only one, and this is clogging up the courts.
I'd recommend going down to the court house and talk to the clerc about emergency relief and getting the earliest date possible.

You also may want to seek out a head hunter or employment agency and get something on paper showing what is available around your old pay rate. That way the Judge won't have to listen to anyone saying that this pay cut is volentary.

Good Luck.

LdiJ

My divorce was completed in Aug of 08 in Virginia. We actually settled after 2 1/2 yrs of going back and forth. We were married for 24 yrs. During the marriage, she worked very little.
In the settlement aggreement, I am to pay $1500 a month. Since then, my salary has been reduced by $4,000 a month, and it is killing me to continue to pay the aggreed support.

Is it possible to have this reduced. I also found out that she is now working a full time job. Although it may not pay but minimum wage, I would think my support should be reduced.
Any thoughts

Thanks
What are you making now? Does your decree state that the spousal support is modifiable?

LdiJ

You are not the only one, and this is clogging up the courts.
I'd recommend going down to the court house and talk to the clerc about emergency relief and getting the earliest date possible.

You also may want to seek out a head hunter or employment agency and get something on paper showing what is available around your old pay rate. That way the Judge won't have to listen to anyone saying that this pay cut is volentary.

Good Luck.
Emergency relief is not going to happen in a case like this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What are you making now? Does your decree state that the spousal support is modifiable?
In addition to that -- what were you making two months ago? Why did your income decrease so drastically? Are you looking for new employment in the industry?

Bali Hai

Any thoughts

Thanks
Get a second job and work yourself to near death to pay the $1500/ mo. that you AGREED to pay!:rolleyes:

turbinedude

In addition to that -- what were you making two months ago? Why did your income decrease so drastically? Are you looking for new employment in the industry?
I still have the same job, which I have held for 25 yrs. The reason for the reduction was due to a relocation of job assifnmebt and the deletion of expenses. Also OT has been cut out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Get a second job and work yourself to near death to pay the $1500/ mo. that you AGREED to pay!:rolleyes:
Excellent advice!
And, for others who may come upon this thread...
DON'T AGREE to an amount that can't be EASILY modified if you have a change in circumstances.
AND, don't ever, EVER, agree to pay something based solely on your income from OT.

(Bali - I know you had the rolly-eyes thing going there, but you would have to agree with what I said ;) )

LdiJ

I still have the same job, which I have held for 25 yrs. The reason for the reduction was due to a relocation of job assifnmebt and the deletion of expenses. Also OT has been cut out.
You didn't answer the questions that were asked. If you don't answer the questions, we cannot give you valid advice.

Bali Hai

Excellent advice!
And, for others who may come upon this thread...
DON'T AGREE to an amount that can't be EASILY modified if you have a change in circumstances.
AND, don't ever, EVER, agree to pay something based solely on your income from OT.

(Bali - I know you had the rolly-eyes thing going there, but you would have to agree with what I said ;) )
I agree that this is thinking in the correct direction. With that said I suggest taking it a step further and DON'T EVER agree to any amount period as a strategy.

It's one thing to finally negotiate away your right arm, but, when you give the other party a butcher knife and access to both nuts, you've gone too far!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">