• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retirement due to alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtre513552

my divorce states that upon retirement my alimony stops. I was married for 28 years. My x husband retired from his employment but does not recieve a pension,or social security at all...and has a business in his name..I would like to know if he still has to pay me alimony,,the divorce paper states upon retirement,death,or permanetly disabled....but he is working but left that co.the divorce states no name of company

D

dorenephilpot

If "retirement" meant leaving the job he was in at the time you divorced, then he could have quit the next day and ended the alimony then and there.

Clearly the intent of the document was that when he retired, i.e. stopped working entirely, that it would end.

I think you have a good argument for it to continue, even though he's not in the same job he once was, because he has this business of his own.

I think his age also might be a factor for his attorney to argue. Is he "old enough" to be considered a retiree?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">