• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rough estimate of alimony duration?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RockyMtMember

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Been married for 16 years, 1 daughter 15, wife has worked intermittently throughout but not seriously. My salary $175k, hers at max $22k. Any way to estimate how long I will need to pay support?

Farfalla

She can ask for and probably get temporary support during the divorce process... basically the income is divided so that all of both of yours bills are paid and any cash left over is split between the two of you.

There is no guarentee that she will get any spousal support... but some info...

Does you wife have an education beyond high school? How easy would it be for her to turn her part time job into a full time job?

And example of how long... a college degee typically takes four years. If she went back to school she'd need four years. Of course, keep in mind that as a single person with a child she'd be entitled to financail aid... around 16K a year or so. Of course the more money she gets in support the lower her financial aid award would be. Just some considerations....

This link might help...

Colorado Alimony Laws

Last edited:

Farfalla

Also... keep in mind that there will be a split of martal assets. So she will be getting her share of those too.

LdiJ

I am going to disagree with the other response that you received. The income disparity between you and your wife is huge. You are probably looking at a minimum of 5-8 years of alimony, and there is no guarantee that you won't get hit with permanent alimony.

It might be in your best interest to agree to put your wife through college, if she doesn't already have a college degree.

You also need to be directing your questions to a local attorney. You situation is such that you need more concrete answers than an internet message forum can provide.

Farfalla

I am going to disagree with the other response that you received. The income disparity between you and your wife is huge. You are probably looking at a minimum of 5-8 years of alimony, and there is no guarantee that you won't get hit with permanent alimony.

It might be in your best interest to agree to put your wife through college, if she doesn't already have a college degree.

You also need to be directing your questions to a local attorney. You situation is such that you need more concrete answers than an internet message forum can provide.
While I think there is a good chance she will get some spousal support for a period of time... the reason I said that she might not is from experience.

I believe from reading that NM and CO are very similar is this part of the law. I was married for 14 years. My ex is a physician so there is a big disparity in our income. I had not worked for the last 3 years of our marriage. I only got support during the divorce period. I was told by the court that there would be no chance of me getting spousal support afterwards. It's almost impossible to get support here. I know that every state is different and every case is unique.

LdiJ

While I think there is a good chance she will get some spousal support for a period of time... the reason I said that she might not is from experience.

I believe from reading that NM and CO are very similar is this part of the law. I was married for 14 years. My ex is a physician so there is a big disparity in our income. I had not worked for the last 3 years of our marriage. I only got support during the divorce period. I was told by the court that there would be no chance of me getting spousal support afterwards. It's almost impossible to get support here. I know that every state is different and every case is unique.
While I appreciate your reasons, it was dangerous advice to give based on the income disparity.

Farfalla

While I appreciate your reasons, it was dangerous advice to give based on the income disparity.
I understand what you are saying.. however what I said is that "There is no guarentee that she will get any spousal support". I really don't think that we know enought at this point to say that there is a guarentee that she will get spousal support. His attorney will help him determine this.

Now in Farfalla's world, any woman who spends 16 years raising her children should get spousal support if the money is there so that she can get a new career. Stay-at-home moms work ... it's not child play. And they do a lot to support their husband's career.

I hope OP will come back and tell us what his attorney says on this topic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">