• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

S p o u s a l S u p p o r t

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nevada1234

Nevada: I've been married about a year and a half. My wife wants a divorce.

I read online that courts don't grant spousal support unless the marriage has lasted 3 years minimum. Is that correct?

My wife isn't working but is well qualified to do so and get a pretty good job if she so chooses.

Also, we have no children together.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Nevada: I've been married about a year and a half. My wife wants a divorce.

I read online that courts don't grant spousal support unless the marriage has lasted 3 years minimum. Is that correct?

My wife isn't working but is well qualified to do so and get a pretty good job if she so chooses.

Also, we have no children together.
Your wife has very, very little chance at getting alimony and if she requests it you need to fight it tooth and nail. Don't even bring it up - and don't offer it!

Nevada1234

S p o u s a l s u p p o r t

Your wife has very, very little chance at getting alimony and if she requests it you need to fight it tooth and nail. Don't even bring it up - and don't offer it!
Thank you. What about division of property? I own the house (and it's "underwater") so I'm not concerned about that. But what about our joint checking & savings account, and furniture in the house? I bought the furniture. She contributed a little to our bank account. I have been the only breadwinner since we got married. She quit a fairly high paying job prior to our marriage. She's highly qualified to get the same kind of job at any time.

By the way, we have no intention of hiring separate lawyers. She said she wants to share an attorney and have an uncontested divorce. I personally think that's a good thing, since it's one less lawyer to pay.

LdiJ

Thank you. What about division of property? I own the house (and it's "underwater") so I'm not concerned about that. But what about our joint checking & savings account, and furniture in the house? I bought the furniture. She contributed a little to our bank account. I have been the only breadwinner since we got married. She quit a fairly high paying job prior to our marriage. She's highly qualified to get the same kind of job at any time.

By the way, we have no intention of hiring separate lawyers. She said she wants to share an attorney and have an uncontested divorce. I personally think that's a good thing, since it's one less lawyer to pay.
If you think that you are going to walk away from this marriage with her getting no assets at all, then you are not being realistic. Any money in joint accounts is marital property and will be divided between the two of you. Furniture and any other assets that accrued during the marriage would be divided as well.

While I agree with other responses that she will not get alimony, she might possibly get some temporary alimony while the divorce is pending. That is generally designed to give someone just a bit of a cushion to get into their own place and get a job.

Now, as far as not hiring separate attorneys is concerned, that is dangerous. An attorney cannot, under the law, work for both of you. The attorney can only work for one of you and is ethically bound to act in the best interest of his/her official client. So, if you hire the attorney and things end up in your favor, there is a chance that things could be overturned...and vice versa applies as well. If she hires the attorney and you feel capable of protecting your own interests, then you might be ok. However, its going to be a bit of a crapshoot no matter what.

Its safer for either neither of you to have attorneys or both of you to have attorneys. However, it is also possible that you could end up paying for both your attorney and hers, base on the overall circumstances.

Get yourself at least a consult with a local attorney to get a better picture of the climate of your local courts and what will be viewed by your local courts as reasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">