• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second wife rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickaroo2

Washington. I

have a situtation that probably is not so unusual, yet I need some clairification as to my rights. My husband's ex divorced him after 9 years of marriage in 94. She was awarded half of the value of the house (he had two years to sell or refinance) and 18% of his future military retirement as a personal property settlement, not alimony, in addition to child support. He retired in 95 and has made monthly payments since. We met and married in 96, financed a 2'd on the house and she signed a quitclaim deed at the bank.

In 2000 she sued for over 20K in unpaid COLA on her portion of his military retirement, and won a 7000 judgement w/interest. My husband up'd her allotment but has failed to pay enough to clear this debt.

His health is declining now and we are considering a move to CA but I am concerned that she can lein the new house. Does his debt to her cease if he passes or am I responsible. They had a very bitter divorce and he is talking about stopping his allotment to her completely and I need to know how his actions will impact me. He says she can't collect against his military pension. Thanks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

How would community property be treated?
She can get a lien on any asset or bank account that has his name on it. Talk him out of stopping that allotment, because that's going to hurt him badly, which will in turn hurt you. You can't be held directly responsible for the debt, but don't think that its not going to indirectly cause problems for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">