• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Section 71 payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gordydry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
I have been unemployed for 1 year. I agreed to a section 71 alimony agreement. I can no longer pay the stipulated amount. My child support is over. I am out of liquid assets and only have IRA funds left. What will and can the judge do if I refuse to pay my Ex with IRA funds.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
I have been unemployed for 1 year. I agreed to a section 71 alimony agreement. I can no longer pay the stipulated amount. My child support is over. I am out of liquid assets and only have IRA funds left. What will and can the judge do if I refuse to pay my Ex with IRA funds.
Find you in contempt of court, fine you, possibly even jail you until you pay a purge.

If you truly cannot pay, and its because of an involuntary problem rather than a voluntary one, then you need to try to take it back to court for modification. No one can guaranteed whether or not you will the modification, but you cannot simply ignore it and not pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">