• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Marriage, Will I pay spousal support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aguilafx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Wife and I were married for 1 year 7 months. We have an upcoming court date. I am 26 years old and make 90,000 a year. She is 29 years old and makes 10,000 as a grocery store cashier, however she was a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration that she was never used. We had no children. Do you think that I will have to pay spousal support, and if so, for how long?

Thank you for your time,

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Wife and I were married for 1 year 7 months. We have an upcoming court date. I am 26 years old and make 90,000 a year. She is 29 years old and makes 10,000 as a grocery store cashier, however she was a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration that she was never used. We had no children. Do you think that I will have to pay spousal support, and if so, for how long?

Thank you for your time,

You should fight tooth and nail against spousal support unless you are actually willing to help out your wife in the short term (as in , pay her rehabilitative alimony for a short period).

She's obviously capable of working, so you can ask that she is imputed - for the sake of finances - at least 40 hours at her current hourly wage.

aguilafx

Not a dime.

I do no want to pay her any alimony at all. She is perfectly healthy and living with her mother rent free. We've been separated since November and I have been giving her $1200 a month to help her out. We had prepared the divorce papers ourselves where I agreed to pay her $1200 till end of February. However, she never signed her part and they were never filed with the court. Last week I got served at my workplace(embarrassing) by a deputy sheriff with a new set of divorce papers without a heads-up from her. On the divorce papers she wrote down a income short fall of $1482. This includes a $500 truck payment which is a shared account. It is a big diesel truck. she says she needs $300 for gas, $125 for insurance, $400 for groceries, $500 for rent, $200 for student loans, $200 for cellphone, cable, and internet, the list goes on. Is it possible that I may get the truck returned to me since she obviously cannot afford it? Her and her mom work at the same grocery store and her small town(a very wealthy ski town in colorado) has a free bus system which she can use. She took most major appliances and furniture from the home when she moved out. How do I go about fighting tooth and nail against paying her any spousal support? Would the cost of a lawyer would be more than the cost of alimony, if any. We have an upcoming court date in 8 days in her home town 5 hours away from me.

Proserpina

I do no want to pay her any alimony at all. She is perfectly healthy and living with her mother rent free. We've been separated since November and I have been giving her $1200 a month to help her out. We had prepared the divorce papers ourselves where I agreed to pay her $1200 till end of February. However, she never signed her part and they were never filed with the court.
You might be screwing yourself here - you're basically saying that you're okay with paying her spousal support.

Last week I got served at my workplace(embarrassing) by a deputy sheriff with a new set of divorce papers without a heads-up from her. On the divorce papers she wrote down a income short fall of $1482. This includes a $500 truck payment which is a shared account. It is a big diesel truck. she says she needs $300 for gas, $125 for insurance, $400 for groceries, $500 for rent, $200 for student loans, $200 for cellphone, cable, and internet, the list goes on.

I'm honestly not making light of the situation, but I couldn't help but laugh.

Exactly why are HER bills YOUR responsibility? If she wants to live larger than her bills, she needs to get a second job. It is NOT your responsibility to support her!

Is it possible that I may get the truck returned to me since she obviously cannot afford it? Her and her mom work at the same grocery store and her small town(a very wealthy ski town in colorado) has a free bus system which she can use. She took most major appliances and furniture from the home when she moved out. How do I go about fighting tooth and nail against paying her any spousal support? Would the cost of a lawyer would be more than the cost of alimony, if any. We have an upcoming court date in 8 days in her home town 5 hours away from me.

You really need to speak with an attorney. There IS a disparity in income which could work against you, but an attorney will guide you further.

For such a short marriage though, I would honestly fight against paying any at all. She's physically capable of working, and you should not be penalized for her being underemployed.

Get thee to an attorney.

aguilafx

Appt. with Attorney Tomorrow

I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow. (Yes on a sunday believe it or not). I've have spoken with her(my Lawyer), over the phone once, and she does not believe that I will pay her any support at all. However, it is ultimately up to the judge as some judges are soft hearted and will almost always side with the woman. My wife filed for divorce because I decided to do a career change to law enforcement and she doesn't want that lifestyle. Quite ridiculous if you ask me, but to each his/her own. If it cannot be resolved in court, she said we will have to go through mediation where I will lose more work days traveling 5 hours from my home. Thank your for your wise words Proserpina.

LdiJ

I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow. (Yes on a sunday believe it or not). I've have spoken with her(my Lawyer), over the phone once, and she does not believe that I will pay her any support at all. However, it is ultimately up to the judge as some judges are soft hearted and will almost always side with the woman. My wife filed for divorce because I decided to do a career change to law enforcement and she doesn't want that lifestyle. Quite ridiculous if you ask me, but to each his/her own. If it cannot be resolved in court, she said we will have to go through mediation where I will lose more work days traveling 5 hours from my home. Thank your for your wise words Proserpina.
Mediation is actually pretty standard. While I understand that you don't want to pay her anything do not allow your credit to get trashed due to the truck. Odds are that she will be awarded it so keep an eye on the account. You may get stuck making some of the payments to protect your credit.

Bali Hai

As you are aware, it's entirely up to the judge that you draw. I've read some horror stories about CO alimony. Unfortunately your state is right up there with other top states that have asinine alimony laws.

A friend of mine married two years in a situation similiar to yours ended up paying a lawyer and a lump sum for her to take a one way hike.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">