• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Term Marriage & Spousal SUpport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SomeRandonUser

In Washington (WA), we have been married less than a year, but have been living together for 6 years. No children together (they are from a previous marriage which does include child support). House, cars, etc are all bought by him before we started living together. We both work, but he makes the majority of the income. No real savings since we started living together (kids).

We have agreed to an uncontested divorce, but are curious what the standard is for spousal support in this situation.

Is it based on the term of living together or from the marriage license? Any ideas on a baseline expectation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

LdiJ

In Washington (WA), we have been married less than a year, but have been living together for 6 years. No children together (they are from a previous marriage which does include child support). House, cars, etc are all bought by him before we started living together. We both work, but he makes the majority of the income. No real savings since we started living together (kids).

We have agreed to an uncontested divorce, but are curious what the standard is for spousal support in this situation.

Is it based on the term of living together or from the marriage license? Any ideas on a baseline expectation?

There won't be any spousal support for a marriage this short, unless its temporary support while the divorce is pending, and even that isn't likely.

nextwife

No spousal support. Once divorced, you are back to your own income. Only assets accrued during the marriage or jointly titled/owned get split. Anything he bought pre-maritally that is only in his name, or only in your name, does not need to be split.

Living together does not count, legally.

tuffbrk

In Washington (WA), we have been married less than a year, No children together. House, cars, etc are all bought by him before we started living together. We both work, but he makes the majority of the income.

Any ideas on a baseline expectation?
Ahem...this type of post, edited to contain only pertinent facts, is exactly what makes Bali lose his mind.

The comment about bloodthirsty immediately comes to mind!!

Bali Hai

Yes, the baseline expectation would be whatever YOU agree to pay HIM!!

Bali Hai

Why would you feel that you even DESERVE to get alimony/spousal support for a marriage of less than a year?
I think her answer would be the same if the marriage was 30 years, because she's a WOMAN and that's how it's supposed to work!!

Frusterated3

Spousal support is designed for the spouse that has been being supported by the other during a legal marriage in order to help "Maintain" that persons way of life up until that point. Example: If you are broke when you get married and you marry a guy that makes three times the amount of money you will ever be able to make and you only end up being married for a year, you're NOT going to be getting alimony. You wern't possibly with him long enough to get into a way of life that you couldn't "Survive" without once on your own. You were fine before you met him and have not been in the situation to have become "Dependant". It's for the women who get married to high profile men and give up their careers to act as the wife for YEARS. These women are out of the workforce for two decades sometimes and they cannot simply get a divorce and be expected to find gainful employment that would allow them to retain the same level of comfort they had lived with while married. Although you were with him for 6 years, the law starts at the date of marraige in most every state.

I have been married and divorced 3 times and only the last divorce I was given spousal support, ONLY because it was uncontested and we agreed. If we would have went to court, I was told my my attorney, even after 5 years of marriage and all of the special circumstances surrounding our marriage, I would have probably not gotten anything! Laws are quickly changing because of all of the "Gold Diggers" making it their career to marry wealth and screw it up for the women who marry someone for genuine reasons and can't get a dime when that man decides to cheat!

Your very best option at this point is to be very willing to work things out with him and keep this divorce uncontested. He will be way more likely to want to give you support if you split ways friendly...if you push you won't see anything because he will find out from someone he doesn't have to give you anything!

Bali Hai

Spousal support is designed for the spouse that has been being supported by the other during a legal marriage in order to help "Maintain" that persons way of life up until that point. Example: If you are broke when you get married and you marry a guy that makes three times the amount of money you will ever be able to make and you only end up being married for a year, you're NOT going to be getting alimony. You wern't possibly with him long enough to get into a way of life that you couldn't "Survive" without once on your own. You were fine before you met him and have not been in the situation to have become "Dependant". It's for the women who get married to high profile men and give up their careers to act as the wife for YEARS. These women are out of the workforce for two decades sometimes and they cannot simply get a divorce and be expected to find gainful employment that would allow them to retain the same level of comfort they had lived with while married. Although you were with him for 6 years, the law starts at the date of marraige in most every state.

I have been married and divorced 3 times and only the last divorce I was given spousal support, ONLY because it was uncontested and we agreed. If we would have went to court, I was told my my attorney, even after 5 years of marriage and all of the special circumstances surrounding our marriage, I would have probably not gotten anything! Laws are quickly changing because of all of the "Gold Diggers" making it their career to marry wealth and screw it up for the women who marry someone for genuine reasons and can't get a dime when that man decides to cheat!

Your very best option at this point is to be very willing to work things out with him and keep this divorce uncontested. He will be way more likely to want to give you support if you split ways friendly...if you push you won't see anything because he will find out from someone he doesn't have to give you anything!
You are making quite a bit of sense Frusterated. I agree with your most of your logic.

Now tell me how you managed to marry for genuine reasons three times??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">