• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security & Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

Could someone please tell me if alimony/spousal support can be ordered if the income of the would be paying spouse is from Social Security?

Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

Could someone please tell me if alimony/spousal support can be ordered if the income of the would be paying spouse is from Social Security?

Thank you
Its quite unlikely. If the potential payee was married to the potential payer for at least 10 years, they would be able to draw SS benefits against the payer's SS credits anyway...assuming that would give them a higher benefit than their own credits.

If the potential payer is disabled, then they have an income that barely supports them, therefore again, alimony would be highly unlikely.

If they were both disabled, but one had a higher benefit than the other, then I could see a chance of an equalization payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">