• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Disability benefits back pay entitlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnRobert

I received two years worth of my social security disability benefits back pay in one lump sum a week ago. I have been separated for 3 years and the divorce is coming to a close end of the month. Is my soon to be ex-spouse entitled to some of my back pay? Indiana

Thank you,

LdiJ

I received two years worth of my social security disability benefits back pay in one lump sum a week ago. I have been separated for 3 years and the divorce is coming to a close end of the month. Is my soon to be ex-spouse entitled to some of my back pay? Indiana

Thank you,
No, your spouse should not be entitled to any of your back pay. It is all for the period after you separated.

JohnRobert

Thank you, there were never official separation papers, but he filed for divorce in

September 2011. My back pay goes back to Dec 2010.

LdiJ

September 2011. My back pay goes back to Dec 2010.
When did you actually separate? Are there any leases or anything that would show that you were living apart prior to September 2011?

I am confused however. Its March 2014 and you stated that you got two years of back pay, so that would be 2012 and 2013. It would be more than three years of back pay if it goes back to December of 2010.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When did you actually separate? Are there any leases or anything that would show that you were living apart prior to September 2011?

I am confused however. Its March 2014 and you stated that you got two years of back pay, so that would be 2012 and 2013. It would be more than three years of back pay if it goes back to December of 2010.
It could be that the OP has been receiving payments, but the backpay was to cover periods prior to when the payments began.

LdiJ

It could be that the OP has been receiving payments, but the backpay was to cover periods prior to when the payments began.
It usually doesn't work that way. Normally the back pay is received right away. I don't think I have ever seen a case where its delayed like that (and I see lots of cases because they have to be reported on tax returns).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">