• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crystalice32

I am 47 and living in the state of WI. I filed for divorce and was granted temporary residency of our home with my 16 year old son. My husband has to pay me $300 per month. What is a reasonable amount, if any, that I should expect after the divorce is final. We have been married for almost 7 years in Oct on the 20th. Can I ask for him to pay for additional education so I can improve my job or train in another field to help support my son and myself?

Eekamouse

There is very little chance of you getting spousal support after a 7 year marriage and unless that's his son too, he's under no obligation for anything regarding him. It's not his problem whether you will be able to support your son, it's your own.

CJane

Is the 300/month CHILD support or SPOUSAL support?

And yeah, a 7 year marriage is considered a 'short term' marriage - and spousal support is HIGHLY unlikely.

nextwife

I am 47 and living in the state of WI. I filed for divorce and was granted temporary residency of our home with my 16 year old son. My husband has to pay me $300 per month. What is a reasonable amount, if any, that I should expect after the divorce is final. We have been married for almost 7 years in Oct on the 20th. Can I ask for him to pay for additional education so I can improve my job or train in another field to help support my son and myself?
You're 47, and he's only been your hubby 7 years? Why should he be responsible to provide you a career when you had FORTY YEARS before he married you to get that done? Why should this now be HIS responsibility? I'm 53 and have a 10 year old daughter. And I had to learn a new career (in my old industry) in WI last year. I just went out, sought it, and did it.

Sorry, but I'm just stunned that you think your lack of career, with having forty years BEFORE your marriage to him to have done something about a career, is HIS fault or his problem!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">