• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crashgordon

I live in Washington State. My question is : I got divorced a little over 3 years ago and agreed to pay spousal support for 5 years. The payment is $500 a month. At the time of the divorce I had my lawyer remove the clause about terminating the support when my ex-wife would re-marry. My bad! My ex re-married about a year ago. Do I still have an out or will I have to honor the agreement? Her new husband makes more money than I do and this arrangement is stressing my finances. Thanks.

CrashWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

LdiJ

I live in Washington State. My question is : I got divorced a little over 3 years ago and agreed to pay spousal support for 5 years. The payment is $500 a month. At the time of the divorce I had my lawyer remove the clause about terminating the support when my ex-wife would re-marry. My bad! My ex re-married about a year ago. Do I still have an out or will I have to honor the agreement? Her new husband makes more money than I do and this arrangement is stressing my finances. Thanks.

CrashWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
Nope, I don't believe that you have an out. You deliberately removed the wording from the agreement. Also, to be perfectly honest, it might cost you almost as much in legal fees as the total amount you have left to pay, if you tried to fight it now.

Crashgordon

O.K. thanks for the reply. I kind of thought I would get that answer, but it didn't hurt to ask. I guess I should have listened to my lawyer better. After all that's why he makes the big bucks! :D Anyway thanks.

Crash

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">