• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbjcjd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA I have been living with my girlfriend for 17 years. she's never worked we have 2 kids together ages 12 and 14 and have a house with both names on title. She made me leave and i was wondering if i would have to pay her anything and what can I do about the house. I want joint custody of the kids. What can I expect when I go to court. Thanks

CourtClerk

You can expect to pay child support for the two children.

She may file a palimony suit.... she may actually get something. However, CC's rule of life #1 is: If you want the benefits of a spouse, you must first BECOME one. However, after 17 years and 2 children, you sure have given her great grounds for a palimony suit...

You can force the sale of the house or she can buy you out.

rbjcjd

Palimony

Thanks for the advice when we started out the agreeement was 50-50 she paid half of everything there was no agreement to support her totally also what do you think the child support amount would be the oldest kid gets ssi. Thanks again

CourtClerk

Thanks for the advice when we started out the agreeement was 50-50 she paid half of everything there was no agreement to support her totally also what do you think the child support amount would be the oldest kid gets ssi. Thanks again
Go to google, type in California Child Support Enforcement. You'll see a guideline calculator. Be sure to include BOTH children, even if the oldest gets SSI. You will get a credit against it later.

LdiJ

Go to google, type in California Child Support Enforcement. You'll see a guideline calculator. Be sure to include BOTH children, even if the oldest gets SSI. You will get a credit against it later.
I possibly disagree. The SSI is extra money that is being provided towards a disabled child's support. In this case it is obviously not coming in due to one of the parents being disabled, because only one child is receiving it. In my observations neither party gets credit for it, because it is supposed to be needed above and beyond regular support, due to the child's disability. If it gets taken into consideration in the child support calculation, then that defeats its purpose.

However, I do realize that CA tends to be different from the "norm" in many ways.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">