• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisaann9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon -
Hi I have been divorced now for 1yr and was married for 21yrs. I am now making less money and my ex-husband is making more than at the time of the divorce. I can not afford a retainer fee, so how do I go about proceeding with trying to get more in support. I make $1600(gross) and he makes $5500-$6000 (gross) a month. At this time I receive $275 a month. Thank you for any help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon -
Hi I have been divorced now for 1yr and was married for 21yrs. I am now making less money and my ex-husband is making more than at the time of the divorce. I can not afford a retainer fee, so how do I go about proceeding with trying to get more in support. I make $1600(gross) and he makes $5500-$6000 (gross) a month. At this time I receive $275 a month. Thank you for any help.
Does your divorce decree state that your spousal support is modifiable?

LdiJ

Yes my decree states that it can be modified
Then you would have to file a motion to modify your spousal support. Try checking your state's government website to see if there are any self help centers where you can get forms etc.

Tayla

Not entirely incorrect as a modification can go either way contingent on the parties and circumstances that warrant such.

LdiJ

Not entirely incorrect as a modification can go either way contingent on the parties and circumstances that warrant such.
He didn't say that it could go either way, he said that it could only go down....and that is completely incorrect. It is correct that it could go either way, however that is not what he said.

LdiJ

I fail to see how his increased income reflects the life she was accustomed to... but stranger things have happened.
It may be that he was in a financial slump at the time that the spousal support was ordered, hence it being "modifiable".

Bali Hai

It may be that he was in a financial slump at the time that the spousal support was ordered, hence it being "modifiable".
Or it may be that he bettered his job skills by paying for more education and training AFTER the divorce and now enjoys a higher wage.

Why should SHE expect any of that??

Furthermore, SHE should be everything she can to aquire independence instead of sitting back waiting for him to succeed and expecting to CASH IN!!

This is a classic example where alimony should have been considered by a jury and not one person. She has no incentive to be anything but LAZY!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">