• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mspooner2008

california

my husband has filed for spousal support. He took a low paying job about a year ago making about 20,000 less than he made before. I make about 20,00 more than he currently does. Can he actually get spousal support? We are working with a mediator and I have no seperate legal advice.

LdiJ

california

my husband has filed for spousal support. He took a low paying job about a year ago making about 20,000 less than he made before. I make about 20,00 more than he currently does. Can he actually get spousal support? We are working with a mediator and I have no seperate legal advice.
How much do you actually make? How much does he actually make? How long have you been married? What have the respective income histories been throughout the marriage?
What were the circumstances surrounding him leaving the higher paying job for the lower paying job?

mspooner2008

I make 50,000. He now makes 36,000. He made 50 to 70 k when he worked for his father. The business went bust and he accepted a commission based job from a freend instead of applying for jobs. Married for 13 years. He has always made more than me.

LdiJ

I make 50,000. He now makes 36,000. He made 50 to 70 k when he worked for his father. The business went bust and he accepted a commission based job from a freend instead of applying for jobs. Married for 13 years. He has always made more than me.
Well...clearly his loss of the previously job was involuntary, but at the same time the income disparity is not huge. Are there children involved? Is someone going to be paying child support? If so, who?

Personally, I would not "agree" to alimony. I would let it go to a judge and let the judge decide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">