• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilshopbabe48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I am think of leaving my husband of 33 years. He is disabled and receives social security disablity. I work full time and only make 500.00 more a month than he does on SS. Would I end up paying him support? I just want to walk away from it all. We own a house that is worth 170k and owe 95k. I would just sign the house to him and leave. Any advise?:confused:

Bali Hai

I am think of leaving my husband of 33 years. He is disabled and receives social security disablity. I work full time and only make 500.00 more a month than he does on SS. Would I end up paying him support? I just want to walk away from it all. We own a house that is worth 170k and owe 95k. I would just sign the house to him and leave. Any advise?:confused:
You're almost there, if you were to kick in another $250/month alimony for the next 10-12 years, I think he might go for it.

OHRoadwarrior

He might go for that deal, if the house payment etc.. can be managed by him. You need to discuss an agreement with him, not us.

LdiJ

I doubt that there is enough of an income differential for you to have to pay him any spousal support. Its possible, but I think its unlikely.

You shouldn't walk away from the home. Your credit is tied up in the home and my guess is that he could not make the mortgage payments and the other bills on his SSDI alone.

The house should be sold and the equity divided.

Bali Hai

I doubt that there is enough of an income differential for you to have to pay him any spousal support. Its possible, but I think its unlikely.

You shouldn't walk away from the home. Your credit is tied up in the home and my guess is that he could not make the mortgage payments and the other bills on his SSDI alone.

The house should be sold and the equity divided.
You might want to read the statutory factors for an alimony award in FL.

It's obvious that the husband will not exceed his current income anytime soon. The husband is disabled.

This was a 33 year marriage. Wife works full time and her income will probably increase over the years.

If husband gets the right attorney, wifey will be paying lifetime support, just like a man would in similiar circumstances.

Try to paint your posts with the same color each time, ok?

mistoffolees

You might want to read the statutory factors for an alimony award in FL.

It's obvious that the husband will not exceed his current income anytime soon. The husband is disabled.

This was a 33 year marriage. Wife works full time and her income will probably increase over the years.

If husband gets the right attorney, wifey will be paying lifetime support, just like a man would in similiar circumstances.

Try to paint your posts with the same color each time, ok?
It would be helpful if you provide OP with the details:
Florida Alimony Laws

In theory, wife could be paying alimony. But with only a $500 difference in their incomes, it is not likely to be significant - if any. Now, if wife is voluntarily underemployed, that could make a difference.

In addition, do the math. OP is offering to give ex her share of $75 K in home equity. That is, a present value of $37,500.

Now, let's take the worst case. Let's say that OP has to give 1/2 of the difference in income to him. That's $250 per month - or $3,000 per year. Depending on assumptions, the net present value of $37,500 today might be greater than receiving $3,000 per year. It's certainly not unreasonable - especially considering that she's almost certainly not going to be paying $250 per month in alimony for life.

Bali Hai

It would be helpful if you provide OP with the details:
Florida Alimony Laws

In theory, wife could be paying alimony. But with only a $500 difference in their incomes, it is not likely to be significant - if any.

So, where is the cutoff? Either you apply the alimony laws uniformly throughout the salary ranges of the parties or you don't. If you don't, explain the reason for not doing that.

Now, if wife is voluntarily underemployed, that could make a difference.

In addition, do the math. OP is offering to give ex her share of $75 K in home equity. That is, a present value of $37,500.

Yes, that takes care of OP's potential alimony obligation for the first 13 years.

Now, let's take the worst case. Let's say that OP has to give 1/2 of the difference in income to him. That's $250 per month - or $3,000 per year. Depending on assumptions, the net present value of $37,500 today might be greater than receiving $3,000 per year. It's certainly not unreasonable - especially considering that she's almost certainly not going to be paying $250 per month in alimony for life.

I think that's very possible, especially in FL.
OP walking away from the home was my premise for alimony with a cutoff date of $250/month for 10-12 years. The husband might be able to afford to keep it under those conditions.

I think the husband has an excellent chance for 250/month alimony to start, with yearly increases as the wife's income increases at least until she is at retirement age, and, depending on circumstances then, maybe a set amount each month for life until one of them dies. Not uncommon in FL at all.

If OP takes the other advice and sells the home, then it's very likely OP will be paying alimony for life, the question is how much.

dmcc10880

OP walking away from the home was my premise for alimony with a cutoff date of $250/month for 10-12 years. The husband might be able to afford to keep it under those conditions.

I think the husband has an excellent chance for 250/month alimony to start, with yearly increases as the wife's income increases at least until she is at retirement age, and, depending on circumstances then, maybe a set amount each month for life until one of them dies. Not uncommon in FL at all.

If OP takes the other advice and sells the home, then it's very likely OP will be paying alimony for life, the question is how much.
Husband would still have to QUALIFY for any assumption or refinance on the home based on his income alone.

LdiJ

Bali, you are out of your mind...particularly on the yearly increases. What in the world is getting into you lately?

Bali Hai

Bali, you are out of your mind...particularly on the yearly increases. What in the world is getting into you lately?
You keep massaging the facts your way when a certain gender comes here asking about alimony, and I'll keep massaging the facts my way.

LdiJ

You keep massaging the facts your way when a certain gender comes here asking about alimony, and I'll keep massaging the facts my way.
I am not massaging anything. I would have said the same thing if the genders were reversed. You are the one who tells every woman who asks the question absurd things.

Bali Hai

Husband would still have to QUALIFY for any assumption or refinance on the home based on his income alone.
Not a problem, the house gets sold, disabled husband married 33 years puts 75 grand in his pocket, gets a room at the YMCA and collects $250/month for 12 deserving years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">