• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JinTXsa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My exhusband was orderd to pay child support and spousal support. He relinquished his rights to his kids and because of that does not need to pay child support. The spousal support was ordered due to Domestic Violence. Can i still get spousal support if he relinquished his rights to the kids? He now lives in a different state remarried with 2 new kids. Any help Please Its been 2 almost 3 years now since he has paid anything

nextwife

Exactly what did the order state regarding the duration of support? Was it temporary child support? Are you remarried?

JinTXsa

there is no set duration it ends when i get married or live with someone. I am not remarried or have lived with anyone or been in a relationship either. It was not temp child support when he relinquished his rights he no longer had to pay any child support.

Doreen

Any support you are entitled to at this point is whatever your divorce decree states.

You say your ex was ordered to pay both spousal and child support. But that he no longer has to pay child support since he relinquished his parental rights? Is this by court order, or by agreement with you?

Your case falls under the older Texas rules on spousal support, which was limited by statute to 3 years MAX, with some exceptions for disabilities. Texas courts do not award lifetime alimony or spousal support with no end date as you suggest.

If you have any further questions, you will need to provide the exact wording of the part of your divorce decree awarding you support, for anyone to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">