• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drummerorian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? utah

My wife and i were married for 19 months. We were unofficially separated for a month now. My wife makes 12.50 an hour, and i make 15.30. We both work full time. We have no kids. Our only shared property is a $600 car, and some small furniture. She is demading 500 dollars a month in support. Her reasoning is that Her boss only lets her work 30 hours a week. And she claims she only makes 1200 a month, while i make 2100 a month.

Silverplum

My wife and i were married for 19 months. We were unofficially separated for a month now. My wife makes 12.50 an hour, and i make 15.30. We both work full time. We have no kids. Our only shared property is a $600 car, and some small furniture. She is demading 500 dollars a month in support. Her reasoning is that Her boss only lets her work 30 hours a week. And she claims she only makes 1200 a month, while i make 2100 a month.
Tell her this, exactly: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! And then say NO.

Make sure you have copies of your recent years of tax returns.

Proserpina

Fight that every step of the way - you don't make much to begin with, and a court is NOT going to make you pay $500 per month in alimony just to leave you destitute.

She'll be lucky to get ANY - you have a very, very short marriage.

It's also not your problem that her boss won't let her do more than 30 hours. Not your problem at all.

Read this: https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/divorce/alimony.html

LdiJ

There is a slight possibility that you could get ordered to pay some temporary spousal support until the divorce is final, but that is a VERY slight possibility.

Other than that, your marriage is so short term that anything else would not even remotely happen.

Proserpina

There is a slight possibility that you could get ordered to pay some temporary spousal support until the divorce is final, but that is a VERY slight possibility.

Other than that, your marriage is so short term that anything else would not even remotely happen.
I'm loathe to say anything is 100% - but truly on this one? Not a chance. Nada.

(There's always going to be that one though, isn't there?)

Bali Hai

That is why I said VERY slight...because there is always that one.
My ex's lawyer worked for a law firm that supported the campaign and election of the judge that belted me with alimony.

Anything can happen when judges have no guidelines and free rein to decide anything.

Bali Hai

Get rid of her ASAP. Her attitude will get worse and your exposure to alimony will increase as time goes by.

Proserpina

My ex's lawyer worked for a law firm that supported the campaign and election of the judge that belted me with alimony.

Anything can happen when judges have no guidelines and free rein to decide anything.
I fixed you a glass of Angostura.

You're welcome!

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">