• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ahava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hi,
Please help guide me.
I was married for 18 years, had 2 kids(still minors) and gave up my career to be a stay at home mom. Lived a very active well to do life style. He made roughly 75-80k year the last year we were together. We divorced in California & both agreed to mark "Reserved" on the Spousal Support & Child Custody section. We(parents) have 50%/50% physical/ joint custody of the kids but I(mom) has Primary custody of the kids. Since then, our son(10 yrs) wanted to live with the dad, I allowed him to until further notice. Dad & son lives in TX and Mom & other child lives in Oregon. I'm needing to file for Spousal Support. I haven't receive any form of financial help from the father at all.

My questions are:
1- How do I go about filing for Support if I don't know how much he makes? I know where he works in TX.
2- I never filed the CA Divorce/Custody Papers in Oregon where I live. Do I need to do that?
3-I am currently starting a minimum wage job. I really can't do my profession any longer due to health reasons. How would that play into the outcome of Support?
4-I don't know if there is anything else I need to know. Can you please let me know if there is other things I need to know?

Thank you for your time.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hi,
Please help guide me.
I was married for 18 years, had 2 kids(still minors) and gave up my career to be a stay at home mom. Lived a very active well to do life style. He made roughly 75-80k year the last year we were together. We divorced in California & both agreed to mark "Reserved" on the Spousal Support & Child Custody section. We(parents) have 50%/50% physical/ joint custody of the kids but I(mom) has Primary custody of the kids. Since then, our son(10 yrs) wanted to live with the dad, I allowed him to until further notice. Dad & son lives in TX and Mom & other child lives in Oregon. I'm needing to file for Spousal Support. I haven't receive any form of financial help from the father at all.

My questions are:
1- How do I go about filing for Support if I don't know how much he makes? I know where he works in TX.
2- I never filed the CA Divorce/Custody Papers in Oregon where I live. Do I need to do that?
3-I am currently starting a minimum wage job. I really can't do my profession any longer due to health reasons. How would that play into the outcome of Support?
4-I don't know if there is anything else I need to know. Can you please let me know if there is other things I need to know?

Thank you for your time.
How long have you actually been living apart? That may be a huge factor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">