• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SPOUSAL SUPPORT/ALIMONY/CHILD SUPPORT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EDEDDSM

i live in florida and i have been married for 16years to an active duty member who is now an e-7. we have 4 minor kids, ages 15,13,&9. recently had a home built. i recently got laid off. he refuses to provide any financial support to me for the kids. i have been to legal on base for assistance and all they did was played tennis ball between my spouse and myself and he still refuses to support. i was told that baq is for support that is put in his check but we never see any of that.
question?
(1)how can i get automatic allotment set up for support(s) deserved without having to argue with my spouse?
(2) do i have to be leagally seperated to get alimony?
(3) what kind of legal advice should or can the legal office provide?

H

HumorMe!

(1)how can i get automatic allotment set up for support(s) deserved without having to argue with my spouse?
You can't. You have to go to court to do so or start harassing the higher ranking officers in his chain of command. What you can do, is go to your states child support agency. It's a headache, but it is free. Your other option is to file for divorce.

(2) do i have to be leagally seperated to get alimony?
To get alimony, yes. To receive interim payments, not necessarily. I am not even certain if FL allows for alimony though! (It's LATE!) I would recommend an attorney in your area.

(3) what kind of legal advice should or can the legal office provide?
The legal office. You don't really want to hear my tirade about base legal, but I will give you the short version. They will not help you. It is a blessing in disguise. Most of the arguments with my ex were because the legal office gave him bad advice. When he saw a REAL attorney, he was corrected. But not after causing everyone severe headaches.

hm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">