• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support but no money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobw4204

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

My wife and I are filing for divorce. She is physically unable to work and I've been unable to find work since last December. All we have to live on in my social security.

In these circumstances, what is she legally entitled to as conditions for divorce?

She wants all the furniture and for me to pay for storage while she lives for a time with her father. She is applying for SSI and assistance with housing but that takes time.

She wants me to pay for her phone, car insurance, and health insurance. She also wants $100/cash weekly.

That comes to about $1100/month. I only get about $1700/month from my social security. I also owe the feds $250/month in back taxes. If I agree to these conditions, I will end up living in my car or a shelter. If we both had lawyers, what would she be legally entitled to as my ex? We've been married for 11 years.

Any broad guidelines to help be figure out what is fair would be appreciated. We are too broke to afford to hire lawyers and will be working with legal assistance to handle the paperwork but I too need to be able to survive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">