• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support in dissolution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

judybickford

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My husband does not want to married any more. The reason he gives is he's fallen out of love. We've only been married 3.5 years. I wanted to do marriage counseling, but he only went to one appt and now wants to file a dissolution. I don't want the marriage to end, but I feel like I have no choice.

I have not worked since we've been married. I have chronic health problems and my husband encouraged me not to work. My name is on the title of the house. He says I should just sign over my half of the house because I didn't contribute any money towards the mortgage payments, so I wouldn't get anything out of it anyway. He also says a judge wouldn't give me very much alimony so I should be happy to get what he's giving me. He's thinking of paying it for 12-18 months.

Do I deserve anything? I am High School educated only and will have limitations as far as to how much I can work due to my health problems. He always encouraged me to depend on him financially, so I did. When we get divorced I will be living at poverty level, whereas we when were married I was living comfortably.

I don't mean to sound like a leech - I worked my whole life since I was 14 and have lived on my own and supported myself for many years (including when I was dating my husband). It just so happens that I've suffered health problems since that make me unable to work and earn money the way I used to.

Thanks for your help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are entitled to 1/2 the equity in the house and you MIGHT get 12 months of alimony. Do NOT sign over the deed on the house until you are paid your portion of the equity.

LdiJ

You are entitled to 1/2 the equity in the house and you MIGHT get 12 months of alimony. Do NOT sign over the deed on the house until you are paid your portion of the equity.
And...until he is refinancing to remove your name from the mortgage, if you are on the mortgage.

nextwife

Have you filed for SSDI? When you WERE working, did you file for any LT or ST disability benefits you may have qualified for? Had you NOT been married to him when you stopped working, how would you THEN have supported yourself?

Last edited:

Bali Hai

Have you filed for SSDI? When you WERE working, did you file for any LT or ST disability benefits you may have qualified for? Had you NOT been married to him when you stopped working, how would you THEN have supported yourself?
She very simply would not have stopped working.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">