• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support Estimate - 5-year marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zenkou17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Married just under 5 years. I make $55k/yr (take home $35k/yr) as NYC public school teacher. Wife is struggling actress, makes 1k/yr from acting, 5k/yr from holistic health counseling, with potential for MUCH more were I not paying for everything.

We have no debt, no assets, no kids, and I left her ALL our material possessions (est. $5k worth of stuff) when I moved out after I found out she'd been having an affair.

Last 4 months have been paying her rent at $1250, and another $500/month for utilities/food/etc; something she expects me to do for three years so she can keep acting and not have to get a day job. That's 3/5 of what I take home. Seems excessive!

I need some perspective on how much she should/would be getting in Spousal Support were we to go through the legal system.

Thanks for your help!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She could get short term spousal support equivalent to 25k per year from you for a year or so. Because she would be paying the taxes on it as well. Offer her $1700 a month for a year.

LdiJ

I will also add that if your gross is 55k and your take home is only 35k, then you have some voluntarily withholding that you could temporary adjust to give you more take home pay.

nextwife

She could get short term spousal support equivalent to 25k per year from you for a year or so. Because she would be paying the taxes on it as well. Offer her $1700 a month for a year.
I do wish to point out you've already been paying temporary support voluntarilly, and recommend you ask that the months you've already paid be counted as part of your temp support.

Why are you rewarding bad behavior by giving her EVERYTHING AND support?

legalbeagle22

Alimony is an out of date concept and the courts have largely recongized it. Given the short term nature of your marriage there's a good possibility she wouldn't get any form of alimony. Her employment situation, or lack thereof, is of her own choosing. She could just as easily chose to get a full time job.

In the mean time I strongly recommend you stop paying her rent or giving her anything at all.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Alimony is an out of date concept and the courts have largely recongized it. Given the short term nature of your marriage there's a good possibility she wouldn't get any form of alimony. Her employment situation, or lack thereof, is of her own choosing. She could just as easily chose to get a full time job.

In the mean time I strongly recommend you stop paying her rent or giving her anything at all.

Really? In what state do they not award alimony? Well actually the proper term is either spousal support or spousal maintenance and I have yet to hear of a state that doesn't award it ever due to the fact that the courts have recognized it as an out of date concept. They have been married five years. It is very possible he would pay short term spousal support. Your opinion is NOT legally based. New YORK has awarded spousal support in short term marriages.

Oh King Jibberjabber please explain your credentials.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">