• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support - gavron warning??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ny2la58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Orange County, California
I was officially divorced 4 1/2 years ago - my attorney quit the business right in the middle of negotiations and I was left high and dry... I stupidly used my wife (at the time) attorney to mediate and I got a bad deal. Anyway, 24 year marriage - no money, no assets only a huge amount of debt and I agreed to pay a large amount of money every month - anyway, the document reads alimony for life or til she is remarried - huge mistake, but I"m wondering how I can personally petition for a gavron warning I hear it is pretty standard and I should have had it- she claims to be agorophic and she fraudently gets paid money from the state, I have plenty of evidence that she if far from agorophic and gets out all the time - she is also 18 credits away from getting her family study psychology degree and I have offered to pay for so she can work and she refuses to do anything - any suggestions, does anyone know about the gavron warning? Oh also, I make a lot more now than I did during the divorce so I get a bit worried she can ask for more money, is that possible. Since the divorce my circumstances have changed, I am remarried and have a son and a house. Someone please help. Thanks in advance for any response.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Orange County, California
I was officially divorced 4 1/2 years ago - my attorney quit the business right in the middle of negotiations and I was left high and dry... I stupidly used my wife (at the time) attorney to mediate and I got a bad deal. Anyway, 24 year marriage - no money, no assets only a huge amount of debt and I agreed to pay a large amount of money every month - anyway, the document reads alimony for life or til she is remarried - huge mistake, but I"m wondering how I can personally petition for a gavron warning I hear it is pretty standard and I should have had it- she claims to be agorophic and she fraudently gets paid money from the state, I have plenty of evidence that she if far from agorophic and gets out all the time - she is also 18 credits away from getting her family study psychology degree and I have offered to pay for so she can work and she refuses to do anything - any suggestions, does anyone know about the gavron warning? Oh also, I make a lot more now than I did during the divorce so I get a bit worried she can ask for more money, is that possible. Since the divorce my circumstances have changed, I am remarried and have a son and a house. Someone please help. Thanks in advance for any response.
You AGREED to alimony for life or until she gets remarried...after a long term marriage. Your reasons for agreeing are basically immaterial at this point.

A brief google search showed me that a Gavron Warning applies to situations where the terms of alimony were not agreed upon...where alimony was a judge's decision. That is not the case for you.

You can certainly get a consult with a CA attorney on this issue and see if he/she has a different viewpoint. However, in my opinion you are stuck with the terms of your divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">