• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support/ length of marriage/ file date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Destructivelove

TEXAS. I am in Texas and my husband keeps threatening to file for divorce prior to our 10 year wedding anniversary in a few months- so that I won't be eligible for spousal support. I have been a stay at home mom since 2003 and have not worked at all. So I will need to seek spousal support if I am sued for divorce. Is the magic 10 year duration literally to the day? And is it based off the day he files the suit with the Court- if he files on the day before our anniversary, am I automatically ineligible? Thank you for the help

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
TEXAS. I am in Texas and my husband keeps threatening to file for divorce prior to our 10 year wedding anniversary in a few months- so that I won't be eligible for spousal support. I have been a stay at home mom since 2003 and have not worked at all. So I will need to seek spousal support if I am sued for divorce. Is the magic 10 year duration literally to the day? And is it based off the day he files the suit with the Court- if he files on the day before our anniversary, am I automatically ineligible? Thank you for the help
You will get 3 years, MAXIMUM. That's IF the court sees fit to order it which, in Texas, is not a safe guarantee.

You are looking for work, yes? If not, I suggest you start looking sooner rather than later.

LdiJ

I do not know where your husband got that idea but no, your 10 year wedding anniversary in TX does not determine spousal support. However, as the previous responder pointed out spousal support in TX is temporary at best.

On top of that, the fact that you have been a stay at home mom will make it likely that you will receive primary custody of any minor children and therefore will receive child support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I do not know where your husband got that idea but no, your 10 year wedding anniversary in TX does not determine spousal support. However, as the previous responder pointed out spousal support in TX is temporary at best.

On top of that, the fact that you have been a stay at home mom will make it likely that you will receive primary custody of any minor children and therefore will receive child support.
Note that CS will not be enough to live off of. You will need to find a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">