• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support never ending?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craig4711a

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Was married 24 years, divorced for 10, date of separation 12 years, and now ex wife is seeking spousal support. She has recently been declared 100% disabled by her doctor. She has applied for disability and retirement, however, my spousal support will be in effect until she remarries or dies. Can this support really be forever?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

Was married 24 years, divorced for 10, date of separation 12 years, and now ex wife is seeking spousal support. She has recently been declared 100% disabled by her doctor. She has applied for disability and retirement, however, my spousal support will be in effect until she remarries or dies. Can this support really be forever?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am confused. Are you saying that she applied for spousal support 10 years after your divorce was final and was granted spousal support?

mistoffolees

Was she even partially disabled for this reason at the time of divorce?

You really need to see an attorney. I don't think she's going to get away with it, but there's enough money at stake that you don't want to mess around.

Bali Hai

What is it with these people who think that just because they were married to someone once, that that someone is now responsible for anything that befalls them for the rest of their life??

You need a lawyer, judges have too much power and are inclined to burden you financially rather than to place that burden on society where it belongs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">