• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

audrey

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My fiance divorced his wife of 17 years and is paying child & spousal support for 11 years since the divorce has been official. His ex has custody of the 2 children since she was a stay-at-home mother and did not have a job while married, despite my fiance's desires to have the children with him. I am concerned that his ex is going to demand lifetime spousal support after the 11 years are up and that she might actually get it since she has poor health (has MS). She just quit her part-time job and is not actively searching for another job. She has not tried to take any classes or make herself more marketable, and is living in such a way that make her MS symptoms more severe (i.e., eating fast food--she used to be on a non-fat diet that dramatically helped to alieviate MS symptoms). My fiance has been very generous with her throughout the divorce process (i.e., allowed her to keep the house, voluntarily increased child support) but I don't want to see him stuck paying spousal support for the rest of his life when his ex is not being responsible for her own health, finances, etc. Since I think that the courts will probably sympathize with her and agree to lifetime support, what are some protective measures my fiance can take to show the courts that she could have become more self-supportive and is somewhat responsible for her health? My fiance is attempting to keep a log of events (i.e., jots down if he finds out his ex is eating fast food). Any suggestions?

Silverplum

My fiance divorced his wife of 17 years and is paying child & spousal support for 11 years since the divorce has been official. His ex has custody of the 2 children since she was a stay-at-home mother and did not have a job while married, despite my fiance's desires to have the children with him. I am concerned that his ex is going to demand lifetime spousal support after the 11 years are up and that she might actually get it since she has poor health (has MS). She just quit her part-time job and is not actively searching for another job. She has not tried to take any classes or make herself more marketable, and is living in such a way that make her MS symptoms more severe (i.e., eating fast food--she used to be on a non-fat diet that dramatically helped to alieviate MS symptoms). My fiance has been very generous with her throughout the divorce process (i.e., allowed her to keep the house, voluntarily increased child support) but I don't want to see him stuck paying spousal support for the rest of his life when his ex is not being responsible for her own health, finances, etc. Since I think that the courts will probably sympathize with her and agree to lifetime support, what are some protective measures my fiance can take to show the courts that she could have become more self-supportive and is somewhat responsible for her health? My fiance is attempting to keep a log of events (i.e., jots down if he finds out his ex is eating fast food). Any suggestions?
Good grief. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You have no input in being concerned that his ex may try for lifetime support. As for MS it is a debilitating disease that can cause individuals to be unable to work. People can go downhill rapidly. As for the fact that your fiance is keeping a log of events such as his ex eating fast food -- he has no right doing that. It is NONE OF HIS BUSINESS what she is eating or what she does. As for how long she will receive spousal support -- what does his original court order say about when it terminates? Spousal support is NOT going to be enough to cover all of her expenses.

Bali Hai

Thanks for all your help, guys. This is definitely a great site to get good advice.
Reality check:

If the wife of 17 years is disabled and cannot work, someone is going to need to provide assistance to her. It comes down to who pays. It will be the husband of 17 years or you, me and every other person reading this.

What do you think the court will decide?

And frankly the judge won't give a damn if she ate a cheeseburger.

LdiJ

Reality check:

And frankly the judge won't give a damn if she ate a cheeseburger.
Particularly if a cheeseburger was all she could afford. On the McDonald's dollar menu you can get a double cheeseburger for a buck plus tax....a salad costs a WHOLE lot more.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">