• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b5jimmy

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Married in March of 2004, I brought her here via fiance visa from Russia. She asked for a separation and has a boyfriend. We have no kids. We've been separated 4 months, I know we have to wait 6 months in Louisiana to get a divorce. I make 53k, she makes 35k. How much support should she get? If any? :(

Just Blue

Married in March of 2004, I brought her here via fiance visa from Russia. She asked for a separation and has a boyfriend. We have no kids. We've been separated 4 months, I know we have to wait 6 months in Louisiana to get a divorce. I make 53k, she makes 35k. How much support should she get? If any? :(
Probably none..Not for a 3 year marriage.

Bali Hai

As much as you're willing to give her.

LdiJ

Bay gave you the accurate answer. A three year marriage would not normally result in any kind of spousal support.

You also don't have to worry about your sponsorship of her as an immigrant, because a 35k salary for a single person with no children is a truly liveable wage.

However, whatever assets and debts that accrued during the marriage need to be evenly divided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">