• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

breeze

I am a 35 year old female that can not work due to a disability to my back. I just filled for disability in October. On January 9, 2006 my husband of 17 years tells me and our 15 year old daughter that he is leaving. Although he has left the home and now lives with his best friends ex-soon to be wife, he has so far continued to pay the majority of our bills. He tells me now that he will soon be filling for divorce and that he plans to give me the house (with a house note) and some land we purchace not to long ago. I am really worried now, I had thought for the past month that things may work themselves out. In the state of Texas would i qualify for spousal support and would that also include my medical insurance he carrys on me since I see so many doctors?

ceara19

Texas allows a person to collect spousal support from a spouse or former spouse during the divorce process (for any marriage) and after the divorce is final IF the marriage lasted longer than 10 years. It is set at NO MORE than 25% of the paying spouses income and does not extend longer than the length of the marriage.

Based on your info, you are eligible for support, however, SS is usually ordered for a very short amount of time (18-24 months) typically. Although it may be possible, I have never heard of insurance being ordered after the divorce is final.

CJane

ceara19 said:
Although it may be possible, I have never heard of insurance being ordered after the divorce is final.
I would strongly doubt the possibility, since an insurance company wouldn't be a party to the court order and therefore could not be forced to cover an ex-spouse.

ceara19

CJane said:
I would strongly doubt the possibility, since an insurance company wouldn't be a party to the court order and therefore could not be forced to cover an ex-spouse.
There is always the possibility of COBRA, but the expense would be unrealistic unless the person is making BIG $$$.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">