• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support for very short marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anaggarw

What is the name of your state? CA

I am an Indian citizen. My marriage lasted 6 months. My wife left India and came to US with me at the time of marriage

I earn about $90K/year and she is not earning anything. How much should I expect the duration of alimony/spousal support to be ?

Regards

Last edited:

i cant say how much it would be, but my roomate just went to court for that, in san diego, and even though he'd technically been married 2 years and 7 months, his wife was only entitled to support for half the time they lived together, which was only 6 months...so she would have been entitled to only 3 mos of spousal support...thought that MIGHT help, unsure, but maybe thought you'd like an idea of time-wise, if you couldnt get an amount span...

and for anyone else, i'm not guessing, this is what the judge said while me, and both roomates were sitting there, as she was discussing his case with him...

*****i doubt this is for every case, she'd mentioned the short "living together" time, meant if she was to accept alimony, based on a 40k income, she would have only gotten about $350(or around there, it was the judge's "guess"), and only for 3 months.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">