• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI for divorced spouse @62 or just SS retirement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ncbill

What is the name of your state? North Caolina

Mom is 61 next month, institutionalized, with advanced dementia.

She does not have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI or SS retirement on her own (I have her statement, she lacks the number of credits for either, though it's close - 2 or 3 years)

I know she will be eligible for SS retirement benefits based on her ex-husband's (he's 65) earnings when she turns 62.

But it also appears she is able to apply for SSDI at that age (yes, married for over 10 years, divorced more than 2 years ago)

Which will give her a greater monthly income, or is it a wash (I know her retirement benefit would be only 50% of her ex-husbands, you may assume his earngings have hit the SS limit every year for at least 2 decades)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">