• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stop in spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tim_yelland

What is the name of your state? MI and AK

I have recently gotten divorced and my divorce decree gives my wife permanent spousal support. She is getting remarried in August and I need to know if I have to continue to pay her spousal support?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MI and AK

I have recently gotten divorced and my divorce decree gives my wife permanent spousal support. She is getting remarried in August and I need to know if I have to continue to pay her spousal support?
Does your divorce decree address remarriage?...if not, then yes, you need to continue to pay spousal support....or at least you need a consult with a local attorney.

Bali Hai

Does your divorce decree address remarriage?...if not, then yes, you need to continue to pay spousal support....or at least you need a consult with a local attorney.
If his state law determines that alimony ends upon remarriage, why would it need to be addressed in the decree? You being a woman of course prompts your answer that he must continue to pay alimony.

LdiJ

If his state law determines that alimony ends upon remarriage, why would it need to be addressed in the decree? You being a woman of course prompts your answer that he must continue to pay alimony.
Bali, most states don't have statutes that address that issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">