• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stopped paying the alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ELECMSM

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK
I live in New York. I am on permanent disability and receive $550 per month from Social Security. That is my ONLY income.
My ex husband got fired from his job for stealing a very large sum of money. He just turned 65 and naturally is having a problem finding a new job. In the meantime, however, he has stopped making the court ordered $650 alimony payments due to his lack of income. He was also ordered to pay for my health insurance. Now, I must use the bulk of the money that disability gives me to pay for my meds.
It has been four months now. He continually tells me that he cannot pay me due to his lack of employment. Yet somehow, he has been able to come up with a $5,000 retainer for his attorney to try to beat the charges for stealing the money.
I have nothing. My apartment costs $800 per month. Without the alimony, I will be on the street at the end of this month. Social service agencies can provide some help but for housing there is at least a two year waiting list and now I am told they are not even taking new names for that waiting list.
Naturally, since I can't come up with the rent, I can't come up with the money to pay an attorney for advice.
I understand that you cannot give me legal acvice here. What I want to know if there is any way that I can get my alimony with some sort of legal advice and support for indigent people like myself. I have tried all of the social service organization to no avail. Any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">