• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopping alimony upon retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Renee1965

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My husband has paid alimony to his former wife for 12 years (it was opened ended with no ending date) He has now been forced into retirement and has taken her to court to try to stop or reduce the amount of his payments which are currently $2,200 per month. At the time of the original court hearing and in the last 12 years, he could afford this but now his pension will only be $2,400 per month and he is not eligible to draw Social Security benefits for another year at age 62 (she will be eligible in Dec of this year to draw from his SS, as they were married for 23 years) She also received 1/2 of everything he had including $80,000 from his retirement fund. She claims she is still not medically able to work and that he should now have to pay her more due to her living expenses increasing over the years and that he should find some kind of job. She is praying on the court to have him continue to pay her from his retirement fund that has grown substainually over the years (keep in mind that they started out with the same amount upon the divorce) He hired a PI to follow her which proves that she does work a couple of days a week and volunteers several days a week, so she IS able to work if she so chooses. In the temp. hearing he was awarded a $500 deduction until the final hearing. Has anyone else ever been through this and do you have any advice to offer? He deserves to enjoy his retirement. He has worked hard for 40 years!
Thank you

candym

My divorce was in Calif. I believe That if there is not a ending date that mean's she gets it for life.she can have a part time job while on alimony in Ca. and that really wont matter in my state . Your state might be diifront I'm not sure on the work part. she has what I have no ending date. I get it for life or tell I remarry. I was married for 31 years.

Renee1965 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My husband has paid alimony to his former wife for 12 years (it was opened ended with no ending date) He has now been forced into retirement and has taken her to court to try to stop or reduce the amount of his payments which are currently $2,200 per month. At the time of the original court hearing and in the last 12 years, he could afford this but now his pension will only be $2,400 per month and he is not eligible to draw Social Security benefits for another year at age 62 (she will be eligible in Dec of this year to draw from his SS, as they were married for 23 years) She also received 1/2 of everything he had including $80,000 from his retirement fund. She claims she is still not medically able to work and that he should now have to pay her more due to her living expenses increasing over the years and that he should find some kind of job. She is praying on the court to have him continue to pay her from his retirement fund that has grown substainually over the years (keep in mind that they started out with the same amount upon the divorce) He hired a PI to follow her which proves that she does work a couple of days a week and volunteers several days a week, so she IS able to work if she so chooses. In the temp. hearing he was awarded a $500 deduction until the final hearing. Has anyone else ever been through this and do you have any advice to offer? He deserves to enjoy his retirement. He has worked hard for 40 years!
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">