• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing SS checks for alimony payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monsepere1105

What is the name of your state? Florida

I got divorced almost 5 years ago. My ex husband is a US citizen, but also a Colombian citizen. He just turned 61 years old in January. Next year, when he turns 62.5, he will be eligible to receive social security (around $1500/mo). He left for Colombia and never reported his change of address (as required in the divorce agreement). He was due to pay me $1800/month in alimony. My question is: I will be 50 years old this year, so I would not qualify for his SS until I reach 62.5. However, could his SS payments be garnished after he turns 62.5 if he requests for payments to be sent to him in Colombia when he turns 62.5 to enforce the divorce agreement?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

I got divorced almost 5 years ago. My ex husband is a US citizen, but also a Colombian citizen. He just turned 61 years old in January. Next year, when he turns 62.5, he will be eligible to receive social security (around $1500/mo). He left for Colombia and never reported his change of address (as required in the divorce agreement). He was due to pay me $1800/month in alimony. My question is: I will be 50 years old this year, so I would not qualify for his SS until I reach 62.5. However, could his SS payments be garnished after he turns 62.5 if he requests for payments to be sent to him in Colombia when he turns 62.5 to enforce the divorce agreement?
I know that SS benfits can be garnished. You should go to your local SSA office and ask them what you need to do to set up a garnishment when his benefits begin.

nextwife

I know that SS benfits can be garnished. You should go to your local SSA office and ask them what you need to do to set up a garnishment when his benefits begin.
But they don't begin, nor can you garnish, UNTIL he files. If he waits until full benefit age, that's when his benefits start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">