• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

survivorship rights of children after divorce and remarriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soulprint

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio..

I have been divorced for almost three years..I have full custody of our children ages 13,13,and 17 with my ex pays child support and alimony. He has since remarried and seldom sees his children.
He tells me that he is dying of cancer. If this is true how will this affect my child support and alimony...and do my children have any rights to his estate?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio..

I have been divorced for almost three years..I have full custody of our children ages 13,13,and 17 with my ex pays child support and alimony. He has since remarried and seldom sees his children.
He tells me that he is dying of cancer. If this is true how will this affect my child support and alimony...and do my children have any rights to his estate?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If he dies without a will, then who inherits what will be decided based on the state where he is a legal resident. If he dies with a will, his will will stand. Your children don't have any automatic right of inheritance.

Anything that he owns jointly with his wife, will pass directly to his wife, outside of the estate. Life insurance will pass to whomever he has designated as beneficiary.

You will be able to collect social security survivor's benefits for your children. However that does end at age 18.

You will lose your alimony. If that is a significant part of your budget, you will need to make plans to do without it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">