• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Susan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susangarciagine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I just wanted to update the post I had previously on here regarding the disabled vet who recieves 100% disability. Some of you stated that his amout is 2600 roughly and that SSDI was about 650...well the SSDI is at 1050 so thats about 3650 a month and 43800 yealry
I see you also said I should apply for my own social security...but I cant because I havent worked long enough to get anything on it.
I worked in a different country till I married my husband and then moved to where he was and helped him with his paper work etc. When he first got his award it was about 230 dollars a month and over the years and many many hardships this included alcholism, ptsd, ocd and other things I have stuck by this man...now it seems he has a home a new truck and 100% of everything I am no longer needed**************.. everything is in his name the house and the truck ...so hence my question of am I entitled to any alimony or split of his benifits...I realise that SS splits down the middle after 10 years of marriage...and in the state of NY the house is sold and debt paid and balance is split...I am concerned about a monthly income still
So any more input would be helpful

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not really sure what you want from us. He apparently hasn't enough income to really support himself, let alone a second household as well. As an adult, you're responsible for supporting yourself. So..... You need to figure out how you're going to do that.

LdiJ

I'm not really sure what you want from us. He apparently hasn't enough income to really support himself, let alone a second household as well. As an adult, you're responsible for supporting yourself. So..... You need to figure out how you're going to do that.
Remember Stealth, his entire income is non taxable, so he has quite a bit more than someone would have who had that much as a salary.

However, I agree that even on a non-taxable basis, it won't fully support two households, so she does need to make plans to support herself.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Regardless - she can't be bothered to find her previous post? I can't be bothered to look it up and find out what she's talking about so all the pieces fit. That's her job.

nextwife

Remember Stealth, his entire income is non taxable, so he has quite a bit more than someone would have who had that much as a salary.

However, I agree that even on a non-taxable basis, it won't fully support two households, so she does need to make plans to support herself.
But he's disabled ( ". . . he recieved disability compensation at a 100% permenant and total.) and she is able bodied and CAN work and earn an income.

How old is the poster? Is she too elderly to work? By that I mean at least ten years older than I am (53).

LdiJ

But he's disabled ( ". . . he recieved disability compensation at a 100% permenant and total.) and she is able bodied and CAN work and earn an income.

How old is the poster? Is she too elderly to work? By that I mean at least ten years older than I am (53).
Lets not be quite so judgemental, ok?

Here is the original post from her previous thread:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I have been married almost ten years to a disabled vet...he recieved disability compensation at a 100% permenant and total..he also recieves SSD
Now when I married him I worked and I sold everything I owned including my car to move to PR to help him out.
When I met him he had a 10% rating and we lived off my savings and unemployment that I had gotten.
Over the years and alot of difficulity he recieved his 100%..which I stuck with him through..
What I want to know is ...if we get divorced am I entitled to any kind of alimony...being that I have had 2 strokes since I married and am unable to work at all
This man seems to think that he is going to throw me out with nothing..which I think is very unfair considering the sacrifices that I have made over the years
Thanks for any info and help
It does sound like she provided a lot of support to him until he got his disability....and that should count for something.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">