• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspending Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roshane

I live in Arkansas, and my ex-wife of 22 years is about to be charged with crimes against me, including breaking and entering, destruction of property, assault, and terroristic threatening. If she is found guilty, and goes to jail, can I use that as grounds to get the $550 dollars a month alimony I'm ordered to pay suspended?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Arkansas, and my ex-wife of 22 years is about to be charged with crimes against me, including breaking and entering, destruction of property, assault, and terroristic threatening. If she is found guilty, and goes to jail, can I use that as grounds to get the $550 dollars a month alimony I'm ordered to pay suspended?
Maybe, maybe not. There have been court cases dealing with crimes by the obligee against the obligor and it sometimes doesn't matter. If your spousal support modifiable?

Roshane

Maybe, maybe not. There have been court cases dealing with crimes by the obligee against the obligor and it sometimes doesn't matter. If your spousal support modifiable?
I'm not sure if the support is modifiable, it is until death or remarriage, otherwise no special stipulations.

nextwife

Are you going after her for restitution for any poperty damage or loss? Perhaps you can request that be deducted?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm not sure if the support is modifiable, it is until death or remarriage, otherwise no special stipulations.
If only upon death or remarriage, you might not get spousal support suspended because your payments are not modifiable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">