• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of spousal alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nynurse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida. My ex wife remarried and florida laws say that is a good reason to terminate alimony. I put in a motion to terminate and she was served this and she answered that she disagreed. If this is a law, how can she and her lawyer feel that they can fight this?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida. My ex wife remarried and florida laws say that is a good reason to terminate alimony. I put in a motion to terminate and she was served this and she answered that she disagreed. If this is a law, how can she and her lawyer feel that they can fight this?

It depends on what your actual decree says.

If your decree is not able to be modified (and that's more common than people think), her remarriage will have no bearing.

But if your decree doesn't address modification, you would then look to State law, and remarriage is often an acceptable reason to terminate support.

LdiJ

It depends on what your actual decree says.

If your decree is not able to be modified (and that's more common than people think), her remarriage will have no bearing.

But if your decree doesn't address modification, you would then look to State law, and remarriage is often an acceptable reason to terminate support.
Of course, that's assuming that FL law applies. The screen name NYnurse could indicate that another state might have jurisdiction.

Bali Hai

Of course, that's assuming that FL law applies. The screen name NYnurse could indicate that another state might have jurisdiction.
The remarriage statues apply in NYS as well.

The screen name Bali Hai could indicate that I'm a leyak, but I'm not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">