• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas How long do you have to be married for Alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lassie

I live in Texas and have been married for 8 yrs. About 6 months ago my husband recived papers from the Attorny General and I find out that he had been haveing an affair with his ex. They have a little girl together she will be 1 yr. old March 11. At first I was going to stick it out because I loved him and we have a 5 yr. old son togather. But now I've found out that he has been talking to a woman that I suspected him of haveing an affair with when our son was first born and I can't take any more. I know nothing when it comes to devoric matters. So what I'm wondering is have I been married long enough for Alimony? We don't have much to show for the yrs. we've been married. I had the house and land already when we met. The only thing we have bought together is an old run down truck. He has always been in charge of the money and where it all goes I've no idea. He makes $30,000 a yr. Please help. What can I get if I do file for devorice? Also I'm affriad he will try to run off with our son. He drives an 18 wheeler and is all over the country. How can I keep him from doing this?
Thanks

L

LadyBlu

You need to find an attorney immediately and file for the divorce and temp custody. That will prevent husband from taking the child until there is a final hearing in the matter.

As far as spousal support. Will look up the codes for you, but am certain you can get temporary spousal support during the pending divorce action, plus child support. SO that should help out for awhile.

Here is the code that specifies about the temporary support. You can ask the atty about permanent support. But I believe that it would require you to have been married for 10 yrs to receive that.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/fa/fa000600.html#fa042.6.502

§ 6.502. Temporary Injunction and Other Temporary Orders

While a suit for dissolution of a marriage is pending and on the motion of a party or on the court's own motion after notice and hearing, the court may render an appropriate order, including the granting of a temporary injunction for the preservation of the property and protection of the parties as deemed necessary and equitable and including an order directed to one or both parties:

(1) requiring a sworn inventory and appraisement of the real and personal property owned or claimed by the parties and specifying the form, manner, and substance of the inventory and appraisal and list of debts and liabilities;

(2) requiring payments to be made for the support of either spouse;

(3) requiring the production of books, papers, documents, and tangible things by a party;

(4) ordering payment of reasonable attorney's fees and expenses;

(5) appointing a receiver for the preservation and protection of the property of the parties;

(6) awarding one spouse exclusive occupancy of the residence during the pendency of the case;

(7) prohibiting the parties, or either party, from spending funds beyond an amount the court determines to be for reasonable and necessary living expenses;

(8) awarding one spouse exclusive control of a party's usual business or occupation; or

(9) prohibiting an act described by Section 6.501(a).

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, § 1, eff. April 17, 1997.

W

Wendy Theriot

Alimony in Texas is for three years only, regardless of length of marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">