• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is There Provision Proetectiang Disabled Persons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LyndaRose

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

Can anybody answer whether there are any civil right laws and if there are any provisions which protect a disabled person to paying attorney fees to prevailing party?

Please read my last post.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

Can anybody answer whether there are any civil right laws and if there are any provisions which protect a disabled person to paying attorney fees to prevailing party?

Please read my last post.
As far as I know, there isn't. All you can do is present your evidence in court proving that you cannot pay, and hope that the Judge will either order no payment, or order small monthly payments.

Lynda, please don't take this wrong, I really am trying to help-

In all of your posts, you seem to be relying too much on your disabilty to keep you from paying for things. This is NOT going to be viewed very well by the court. Yes, you are legally disabled, but as I pointed out in another thread- even the disabled have avenues in which to earn some extra money. Before I became disabled myself, I worked in home health. I had a 24 yr old quadraplegic patient who asctually earned a living with the help of local agencies who provided him with a special computer. If someone like him can earn, then just about anyone can, it just takes setting your mind to finding what you can do. Please look into what you can do for extra money, you'll find that your entire life will be better.

LyndaRose

I am not taking things the wrong way, thank you for all your help. Its just that when one is on disability, and not receiving the alimony and child support payments, things are too tight and I struggle making my necessary payments. What makes things worse for me is the fact that my attorney withdrew from my case, he didn't even wait for this week where I have a court hearing for attorney fees. So I am trying to play attorney also for myself.

I no longer live in a major town, in fact it is a small area where shopping is very limited and jobs are few. Nobody would hire me as I have been out of work for nearly 18 years. But I keep trying to find something. :) I am just trying to play attorney for myself in hopes I do the right thing to get the courts to make my former husband do the right thing in paying for child support. Thank you again!! Lynda

nextwife

I am not taking things the wrong way, thank you for all your help. Its just that when one is on disability, and not receiving the alimony and child support payments, things are too tight and I struggle making my necessary payments. What makes things worse for me is the fact that my attorney withdrew from my case, he didn't even wait for this week where I have a court hearing for attorney fees. So I am trying to play attorney also for myself.

I no longer live in a major town, in fact it is a small area where shopping is very limited and jobs are few. Nobody would hire me as I have been out of work for nearly 18 years. But I keep trying to find something. :) I am just trying to play attorney for myself in hopes I do the right thing to get the courts to make my former husband do the right thing in paying for child support. Thank you again!! Lynda
What do you think never married women do if disabled? Never pregnant women? Widowed women if disabled? They can't force someone to support them.

What about a bank or some other business? My bank has a number of employees with significant disabilities working there.

My dad became disabled, brain tumor, loss of speech, partial paralysis, and yet he still attempted to work and be financially productive in any way he could.

tuffbrk

Lynda - feel free to take this the wrong way - GET OFF YOUR BUTT and find a job. You offer nothing but excuses. You can't get a job because you live in a small town?! You think the courts are going to care? So no one said you have to work locally - take a bus. Let me guess - there are no buses in your small town, right? THEN MOVE.

Help yourself already. What if your Ex passes away? Hmm? Have you thought of that? What if he becomes disabled? The two of you going to sit around together whining about how the taxpayers and government should pay your way?!

YUCK! BTW - you never even bothered to thank Gracie for all of the links she provided you yesterday. So even when you're spoon fed information you can't be bothered to take the two minutes to say thank you. If you think you're owed something just because you're disabled, think again.

LyndaRose

Tuffbke:

For your information, I have previously thanked Gracie for the links in other posts and always mention her kindness.

She knows, as for you, one day just wait one day when you are at your down spot maybe you think what you said to me will come back to you. Remember, what comes around goes around. This is a board to get LEGAL ADVICE, its a shame people like you just want to use it for trash talk to people. There are many attorneys on here giving expert advice and not asking money for their help and I admire each one of them.

I have to say shame to you and I thank all the ATTORNEY'S out there that spend their time in helping people in need such as myself. The others such as yourself, well don't bring this board down, its important to many. As they say in court CASE CLOSED.

Bali Hai

Tuffbke:

For your information, I have previously thanked Gracie for the links in other posts and always mention her kindness.

She knows, as for you, one day just wait one day when you are at your down spot maybe you think what you said to me will come back to you. Remember, what comes around goes around. This is a board to get LEGAL ADVICE, its a shame people like you just want to use it for trash talk to people. There are many attorneys on here giving expert advice and not asking money for their help and I admire each one of them.

I have to say shame to you and I thank all the ATTORNEY'S out there that spend their time in helping people in need such as myself. The others such as yourself, well don't bring this board down, its important to many. As they say in court CASE CLOSED.
The advice to you to get a job and stop looking for excuses is sound advice. This board is not about handing people like you loopholes around what the rest of us must do, i.e. WORK!! CASE CLOSED!!!

VeronicaLodge

i just have to second the advice that you need to stop making excuses and expecting someone else to provide for you forever. you better figure out a way to support yourself.

tuffbrk

Tuffbke:

Sweetie - I am a huge believer in karma. I'd say you are getting yours now....
As for me - I did not trash talk you - I spoke plainly to you in the hopes that it would jump start some type of understanding on your part that you NEED to take responsibility for yourself and your future. But as I wrote initially - feel free to take it the wrong way. Folks that don't want to work, that are takers and want to feel sorry for themself typically spend a great deal of time and energy trying to "prove" they are down and out as opposed to using that time and energy in a more productive manner. For example, you apparently are able to type, have access to a computer and the internet. Instead of parlaying that into enabling yourself to earn an income, you instead spend the time and energy trying to figure out how to successfully avoid it.

I hope you have a long and happy life Lynda. I also hope that you learn independence and get the resulting boost to your self esteem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">