• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a way to avoid alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willc86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida / Colorado

I have not met anyone and I am single. But the stories I here from men at work just truly has me concerned. I was wondering, lets say I make 80,000 a year, and I had a wife that makes 30,000 a year. Would a prenup agreement be idea to protect myself from alimony in those states?

Say I had a prenup agreement of I support alimony for 1 year just to help her off of her feet, then everything else we can split (house, car, savings together), just dont touch my salary so I can at least still make a living, would that be possible? Reason I ask, for future actions, I can make a decision if I ever want to marry one day when I meet someone, or just stay single. What would I need to do in order to prevent alimony pay for so many years

thank you guys

Bali Hai

I have not met anyone and I am single. But the stories I here from men at work just truly has me concerned. I was wondering, lets say I make 80,000 a year, and I had a wife that makes 30,000 a year. Would a prenup agreement be idea to protect myself from alimony in those states?

Say I had a prenup agreement of I support alimony for 1 year just to help her off of her feet, then everything else we can split (house, car, savings together), just dont touch my salary so I can at least still make a living, would that be possible? Reason I ask, for future actions, I can make a decision if I ever want to marry one day when I meet someone, or just stay single. What would I need to do in order to prevent alimony pay for so many years

thank you guys
I would take the don't get married route and in some states that is not guaranteed. If you do get married, make sure she earns 180k if you earn 80k. Keep her working and if she talks about quitting, divorce her.

Google Top Ten Signs of a Gold Digger.

ajkroy

thank you guys
Sure. Marry someone who makes more than you do. Seriously, $80K is not that much.

willc86

Sure. Marry someone who makes more than you do. Seriously, $80K is not that much.

Now and days, it is not; but it is reported people who make 80k and the wife makes 30k, she will be awarded alimony. Anyhow, so I am guessing a prenup is useless if it does not protect against alimony pay? or does it? I was thinking, if I were to ever meet someone, tell up front I never want to get married. I sound greedy and like an a$$, but I need to protect myself for those what if moments.

LdiJ

Now and days, it is not; but it is reported people who make 80k and the wife makes 30k, she will be awarded alimony. Anyhow, so I am guessing a prenup is useless if it does not protect against alimony pay? or does it? I was thinking, if I were to ever meet someone, tell up front I never want to get married. I sound greedy and like an a$$, but I need to protect myself for those what if moments.
My brother lost the love of his life because of wanting to protect his "stuff" and he has never gotten over it.

single317dad

If you're really concerned about your possessions and future earnings in the case of a divorce (as many of us believe you should be), then you shouldn't get married at all. I, for one, won't be getting married again, and I believe that marriage should not be a state sponsored institution, but simply a religious ceremony as it was always intended to be. I realize that will very much limit my selection of potential partners going forward, and you should realize the same.

You weigh the pros and cons and consider the long term view before taking any action, just as you'd do with any other decision.

willc86

If you're really concerned about your possessions and future earnings in the case of a divorce (as many of us believe you should be), then you shouldn't get married at all. I, for one, won't be getting married again, and I believe that marriage should not be a state sponsored institution, but simply a religious ceremony as it was always intended to be. I realize that will very much limit my selection of potential partners going forward, and you should realize the same.

You weigh the pros and cons and consider the long term view before taking any action, just as you'd do with any other decision.
Thank you for your valuable reply. I believe this is the way to go. Honestly, yes, i am concerned about my future earnings in the case of divorce, and I do have to make a living still. I also believe marriage should not be a state sponsored agreement, but something you do on your own and religious beliefs.

Reason is, I am young, and I am making a hefty salary for my age; an din my personal opinion, I believe your salary is your salary and no one else's. Anyhow, hopefully someone agrees with me

latigo

My brother lost the love of his life because of wanting to protect his "stuff" and he has never gotten over it.
Congrats! That is the only worth while stuff I've seen you post.

[SUP](Mainly because it doesn't call on your invented "legal expertise".)[/SUP]

Proserpina

If he and the love of his life didn't agree with the financial side, then clearly she wasn't the love of his life.

Neither party should roll over and die when it comes to marriage and the financial ramifications of same. If you can't agree and one of you is compromising their own stance on the matter, the marriage is doomed before it even begins.

LdiJ

If he and the love of his life didn't agree with the financial side, then clearly she wasn't the love of his life.

Neither party should roll over and die when it comes to marriage and the financial ramifications of same. If you can't agree and one of you is compromising their own stance on the matter, the marriage is doomed before it even begins.
It wasn't even like that. She wanted to get married and have children, and he didn't want to get married at all because he was afraid of losing half of his "stuff" in a divorce. She felt her biological clock ticking and left. The ironic thing is that due to circumstances beyond his control he ended up losing all of his "stuff" anyway...whereas had they remained together it might not have had to happen. An additional irony is that his regret over losing her is far greater than his regret over losing his "stuff".

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Obviously, the way to avoid alimony is to not get married. However, expect that many of your potential partners will not be interested in having your illegitimate child(ren).

Not every woman is out for "your stuff". Don't be shocked if those women aren't interested in your "junk", either.

Proserpina

It wasn't even like that. She wanted to get married and have children, and he didn't want to get married at all because he was afraid of losing half of his "stuff" in a divorce. She felt her biological clock ticking and left. The ironic thing is that due to circumstances beyond his control he ended up losing all of his "stuff" anyway...whereas had they remained together it might not have had to happen. An additional irony is that his regret over losing her is far greater than his regret over losing his "stuff".
Just dandy.

Proserpina

OP, a properly constructed (ie, with you and her having separate attorneys which is a necessity) pre-nup can go a long way.

Bali Hai

He might sell his story to daytime drama, i.e. The Young and the Restless. I used to watch that when I worked night shift many decades ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">