• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncontested divorce ex-spousal support details

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi. Me and my wife filed for an uncontested divorce in California where she agreed and signed that I will not owe her any money/support/alimony going forward. After the divorce is final (6 month waiting period in California) and signed by a judge, can she change her mind later and demand support/alimony? Can I be legally held liable for alimony or any form of ex-spousal support in such a case? Any advice or info will be appreciated, thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Theoretically, once the divorce is final, it's final. However, if it can be proved that the documents you submitted related to income and assets were fraudulent, then she may have a case to reopen the property settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">