• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployed and paying support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ss1969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I just lost my job and have minimal savings. If I stop paying support what will happen? Forgot to mention it is alimony not child support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I just lost my job and have minimal savings. If I stop paying support what will happen?
Are you talking about spousal support or child support? (You posted in the Alimony & Spousal Support sub-forum)

ss1969

question regarding spousal support

Does your court order state that the alimony is modifiable?
it reads that if I lose my job involuntarily that a neutral arbitrator shall determine what the interim amount should be, with the regular amounts resuming after I find a new job. I lost my job due to restructuring of the company. my savings will last about 3 months if I do not pay the support.

ss1969

spousal support after losing job

Are you talking about spousal support or child support? (You posted in the Alimony & Spousal Support sub-forum)
yes, it is spousal support. the decree states that an independent 3rd party will determine what amount i need to pay until i find a job. if I pay zero support my savings will last about 3 months, otherwise I have to go into IRA accounts. Who determines who this arbitor is on reduced amount.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
it reads that if I lose my job involuntarily that a neutral arbitrator shall determine what the interim amount should be, with the regular amounts resuming after I find a new job. I lost my job due to restructuring of the company. my savings will last about 3 months if I do not pay the support.
Seems pretty clear - you need to find out how to get in front of a neutral arbitrator. Until the amount is changed as required by the court, you owe what is ordered...

LdiJ

Seems pretty clear - you need to find out how to get in front of a neutral arbitrator. Until the amount is changed as required by the court, you owe what is ordered...
I agree. You might have to dip into your IRA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">