• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

urgent advise needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missy 60

What is the name of your state? NY.

My husband passed away on february 15th 08, after the funeral I decided to return to my island in the caribbean. I didn't know anything about my husband's finances, and never asked. I knew from somethings he told me, that he iused to be in the air force, and later for the VA, to work up his pension., and he was collecting a pension from them. Since I'm back on my island, I haven't heard anything from the family again. and I don't dare to ask about anything, I even don't know what happened to my personal belongings. Please Help me.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

Bali Hai

My husband passed away on february 15th 08, after the funeral I decided to return to my island in the caribbean. I didn't know anything about my husband's finances, and never asked. I knew from somethings he told me, that he iused to be in the air force, and later for the VA, to work up his pension., and he was collecting a pension from them. Since I'm back on my island, I haven't heard anything from the family again. and I don't dare to ask about anything, I even don't know what happened to my personal belongings. Please Help me.What is the name of your state?
Not enough information; are you living in Jamacia or Aruba???

LdiJ

How long were you married? Did you ever file a joint tax return together? If so, the IRS could provide you income transcripts for the last tax year that you filed together, which could help you trace where his income came from. You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Be sure to emphasize that you want INCOME transcripts. Repeat that several times. You may have to provide them a change of address form as part of the process.

As his widow, you are entitled to a survivor's pension from the military/VA. If you were married for at least 10 years, you would also be entitled to file for social security benefits based on his work credits....at retirement time.

If you cannot communicate with his family, then it would be in your best interest to hire an attorney in NY to ensure that you receive whatever part of your husband's estate that you are entitled to receive, as well as your personal belongings, if they have not already been disposed of.

nextwife

How long were you married? Did you ever file a joint tax return together? If so, the IRS could provide you income transcripts for the last tax year that you filed together, which could help you trace where his income came from. You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Be sure to emphasize that you want INCOME transcripts. Repeat that several times. You may have to provide them a change of address form as part of the process.

As his widow, you are entitled to a survivor's pension from the military/VA. If you were married for at least 10 years, you would also be entitled to file for social security benefits based on his work credits....at retirement time.

If you cannot communicate with his family, then it would be in your best interest to hire an attorney in NY to ensure that you receive whatever part of your husband's estate that you are entitled to receive, as well as your personal belongings, if they have not already been disposed of.
And to whom did you assign the responsibility of handling his financial affairs, paying his creditors, emptying your marital home, notifying his account holders, etc?

Last edited:

missy 60

Nextwife

About the house and everything else. they never informed me of anything. I'm in the dark. totally....

tuffbrk

Your husband passed away and you just left? You left your home, your belongings, momentos of your life and marriage?!

Did he die at home or in the hospital?
Were the hospital bills paid, if appl?
Did he have a will?
Was there any life insurance?
Who paid for the funeral?
Did you rent or own the marital residence? In whose name was it obtained?
Did you maintain the rent/mortgage payments?
Did you have any joint credit cards?
Was there a car loan/lease?
Did you notify any/all creditors?
Did you leave a forwarding address?
Did you advise any other family members of your intentions?
Did they know how to get in touch with you?

I'm at a loss as to how to help you as you don't provide any information whatsoever and you really did not say what it is you need help with!

tuffbrk

I guess I missed the question, Shay.

All I see is her saying that she pretty much ran away from home, knows nothing about anything, doesn't dare to ask the family - no idea why that would be - and to please help her. Help her what?! Grow up? Face responsibility?

Silverplum

All I see is her saying that she pretty much ran away from home, knows nothing about anything, doesn't dare to ask the family - no idea why that would be - and to please help her. Help her what?! Grow up? Face responsibility?
All that, plus I think we are expected to travel to NY, handle all legal matters, box up her beloved things and mail them to The Island Of Forgetfulness, snub her former in-laws, find a home for her cats, and tip the doorman on our way out.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

penelope10

I vaguely remember this person. I think her question is how can I get a piece of the pie?

Shay-Pari'e

All that, plus I think we are expected to travel to NY, handle all legal matters, box up her beloved things and mail them to The Island Of Forgetfulness, snub her former in-laws, find a home for her cats, and tip the doorman on our way out.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The poor cats!:eek: If she was smart enough to google this site, register and post a question, she is smart enough to give details.

The jist of it is, she asked this before even leaving everything behind. She was even told in Feb. what she needed to do.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">