• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To Waive or Not to Waive Suppport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sokols

:eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
Need advice on whether or not to waive future alimony support. I was in a 24 year marriage and husband out earned me 2-1 the entire marriage. Since our divorce settlement and during the process he has not worked in over 2 years. At this time I really don't know if he is working or a job offer is pending. He is proposing that we both waive back alimony and furture alimony to be completely done with confrontations and having to deal with each other,which sounds great to me.
Is this a good thing for me to agree to. I make approx. 50k a year and really can't afford to support him when our combined income for housing was 165K a year. Im also worried that this proposal means he's hiding something. He needs employment income. Advice please!

mistoffolees

:eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
Need advice on whether or not to waive future alimony support. I was in a 24 year marriage and husband out earned me 2-1 the entire marriage. Since our divorce settlement and during the process he has not worked in over 2 years. At this time I really don't know if he is working or a job offer is pending. He is proposing that we both waive back alimony and furture alimony to be completely done with confrontations and having to deal with each other,which sounds great to me.
Is this a good thing for me to agree to. I make approx. 50k a year and really can't afford to support him when our combined income for housing was 165K a year. Im also worried that this proposal means he's hiding something. He needs employment income. Advice please!
I don't think anyone can answer that for you. You have to weigh all the numbers and the probabilities of all the different scenarios and come up with your best guess.

LdiJ

I don't think anyone can answer that for you. You have to weigh all the numbers and the probabilities of all the different scenarios and come up with your best guess.
I agree, although you could live quite adequately on 50k a year. It would be a modest lifestyle, but it definitely could be done. Just make sure that you get your fair share of the marital assets. Don't give up anything there.

Sokols

To waive or not to waive

The only thing other than alimony is his pension if he has one, after 18 years with a company. He has yet to submitt that information to the courts. The house and assets, cars, and bank accounts have already been split. I do find it odd that he was able to buy me out of our house, he drives an expensive car but he doens't have a job. He may have something already lined up and that's why he wants this done. I hope I am making the right choice as long as he waives alimony - I would rather this not become as ongoing issue back and forth. Any other views or advice is appreciated.

mistoffolees

The only thing other than alimony is his pension if he has one, after 18 years with a company. He has yet to submitt that information to the courts. The house and assets, cars, and bank accounts have already been split. I do find it odd that he was able to buy me out of our house, he drives an expensive car but he doens't have a job. He may have something already lined up and that's why he wants this done. I hope I am making the right choice as long as he waives alimony - I would rather this not become as ongoing issue back and forth. Any other views or advice is appreciated.
If his company has a traditional pension, then it could be substantial after 18 years. If not, if there are ANY retirement accounts, you would be entitled to 1/2 of the marital amount.

If he was able to simply buy you out of your share of the house and has an expensive new car, I would be a bit skeptical. You should really bounce this off a local attorney to get their advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">